cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CV1 - Will I need a second monitor connected forever?

aztecsurf
Explorer
I am planning on picking up the CV1. I would ideally like to use the HMD alone to navigate around my games, demos. I realize that you will need to have a primary display connected to the PC to install the Rift drivers, etc. My question is after that do you need the second monitor anymore?

Let's say I get everything installed, Rift is working great and I now disconnect my LCD monitor. If I reboot the PC will the Rift just become the primary display from there onward? Is the Windows desktop able to be navigated from the Rift alone?

I can see this becoming a bigger issue if you are a company promoting the Rift and bringing it to Venue's, Exhibits, etc where having to bring a second monitor connected will become a pain very quick.

Thanks. 😄
16 REPLIES 16

Bob821
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
The monitor doesn't have to be expensive. But it should be high enough resolution to run Windows comfortably.

You will need a mouse/keyboard for Windows to start, but most VR games will be using the Xbox One gamepad.

Rift included headphones, so you don't need speakers or any other audio devices.

Thanks for the answers. I assume one does not really need an optical drive either.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
"Bob821" wrote:
"cybereality" wrote:
The monitor doesn't have to be expensive. But it should be high enough resolution to run Windows comfortably.

You will need a mouse/keyboard for Windows to start, but most VR games will be using the Xbox One gamepad.

Rift included headphones, so you don't need speakers or any other audio devices.

Thanks for the answers. I assume one does not really need an optical drive either.

Optical drives haven't really been a requirement for years. Actually, a couple days ago I was plugging my HD into my computer and accidentally bumped the button...Startled me when the tray popped out. I'd forgotten I had a DVD drive.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
"cybereality" wrote:

Cyber how about a mic? Is that built into the hmd as well? I have asked before but would like to hear from the horses mouth as it were
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes, it has a mic too.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
here is another Oculus horse mouth confirming a microphone @ 8m 55s:

3dvrmonster
Explorer
http://headlessghost.com/ with virtual desktop on (boot on start up) works some what for what you are asking. I have one, and though I currently use my monitor, I have used it with virtual desktop with just the rift as the only real display like that. The software just does not run as efficiently as you would like. It is like rendering an extra instance when it is actually not there hence headless monitor.
Intel Core i7-3820 OC@ 4.7 Ghz (Liquid-cooled) on ASUS Sabertooth X79 mobo 16 GB Quad Channel DDR 3 1600 Mhz with 250 gb SSD GTX 980 working with DK2 to make something great!

bigmike20vt
Visionary
thanks for the info.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂