cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CV1 and Touch Reviewed by Tested

scottycam
Honored Guest
Just came out, it is long but they always do very good in-depth reviews.

60 REPLIES 60

jyoun
Explorer
"GSS" wrote:
So my question is what are the dimension bounds. that is the one advantage I think Vive still has is the large known tracking area. For how much people have said walking around increases immersion I think that is going to be huge.

They probably don't want to over-promise things like tracking area because there are too many variables, unlike that demo space which is obviously a nice optimal setting.

As for walking experiences, I don't think it'll be all that huge anytime soon. There are too many things to overcome like boundary detection/editors and safety legality issues that will maybe require wireless at the bare minimum.

snappahead
Expert Protege
"vizionvr" wrote:
A truly in-depth interview and review. Thanks Tested and Oculus! You DO listen to us sometimes. 😉
Cameras were allowed in the test room during play! A first for Oculus, I believe.
Great questions, adequate answers.

- Many of my concerns are relieved, though there are some pretty important questions that still remain.
- Who else saw the bit about ambient noise occlusion? It sounds VERY promising.
- I'm not yet completely sold on Constellation VS. Lighthouse. I still think Lighthouse might have the upper hand.
- I'm completely sold on the Touch controllers! Then again, I liked them from the start. Finger gestures are meh.
- HMD is as light as a baseball cap. Yes, very yes. Breathable fabric covering is genius.
- A bit bummed that I'll have to wear my glasses now. With DK2, the A lenses sufficed. Glasses will reduce FOV.
- I get that FOV is a bit of an arbitrary number, but this too will need to be standardized at some point.
- The integrated social aspect is a huge win here.
- Smaller sweet spot in optics, yet no blurriness around the edges? That needs more explanation.
- No mention of SDE = No perceivable SDE?

Where did you get a smaller sweet spot from?
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti

VizionVR
Rising Star
"Snappahead" wrote:
"Sharpfish" wrote:

Somewhat true, you can't blame oculus for having to wear something that juts out a half inch from your face, you have to be a self starter with that (contact lenses) if it's that vital to get the extra degrees you may get by not wearing glasses. I don't think anyone at oculus is a miracle worker, my problem with them stemmed from certain decisions made and what they could mean, rather than about tech specs. I think they've settled on making a balanced realistic product rather than, at least for CV1, something that us idealists would be 'in love' with from the bullet points alone.

Personally I can't waste any more of my life complaining about it even if it's not exactly what I'd love to have seen, hey at least it IS a rift and not yet another Gear VR.. right guys?

CV2 will be the dog's rollocks I'm sure so hang in there.

Well said. I love new Sharpfish!

Just don't mention *Gear VR* around him. :lol:
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

VizionVR
Rising Star
"Snappahead" wrote:
"vizionvr" wrote:
A truly in-depth interview and review. Thanks Tested and Oculus! You DO listen to us sometimes. 😉
Cameras were allowed in the test room during play! A first for Oculus, I believe.
Great questions, adequate answers.

- Many of my concerns are relieved, though there are some pretty important questions that still remain.
- Who else saw the bit about ambient noise occlusion? It sounds VERY promising.
- I'm not yet completely sold on Constellation VS. Lighthouse. I still think Lighthouse might have the upper hand.
- I'm completely sold on the Touch controllers! Then again, I liked them from the start. Finger gestures are meh.
- HMD is as light as a baseball cap. Yes, very yes. Breathable fabric covering is genius.
- A bit bummed that I'll have to wear my glasses now. With DK2, the A lenses sufficed. Glasses will reduce FOV.
- I get that FOV is a bit of an arbitrary number, but this too will need to be standardized at some point.
- No mention of SDE = No perceivable SDE?

Where did you get a smaller sweet spot from?

It's mentioned in the review during the wrap up.
My bad I was wrong. the sweet spot is "more forgiving".

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyone expecting higher FOV than what CV1 is offering will need to wait for Star vr which might be a while. But vive with the same screens and type of lens plus IPD adjustment is going to suffer the same drawback of glasses, potentially worse as valve has made no mention of tailoring their headset for use with them.

scottycam
Honored Guest
"vizionvr" wrote:

I agree. I think it would have been pretty interesting to see someone in another booth (potentially on the other side of the world) right in front of you. Like Norm (i think it was him) said he held up a candle to the other guy and he used a lighter to lit it up.... something so simple but huge potential.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sweet spot was mentioned to be much better than CB. Another piece of evidence that CB and cv1 are not the same.

Calanar
Honored Guest
"HoustonVR" wrote:
From Tested's Touch review A surprising array of very natural interactions with objects works well. HTC Vive's controller is somewhat less capable in these ways.

hopefully Vive will lighten their input and get it to interact better before launch.
Michael Tenery, Software, RPG and Game Developer. Imagine Role Playing: http://www.role-playing.com

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm thinking it's possible that the Vive might have no bigger tracking volume than the CV1 camera. If you think about it, it makes sense because the CV1 camera is placed much closer to the user, while the Lighthouse stations are placed in the top corners of the room, much farther away and allowing for a larger tracking volume. If you place two of the CV1 cameras in the top room corners, I would imagine that it is comparable in volume.

VizionVR
Rising Star
"leguilloux" wrote:
Sweet spot was mentioned to be much better than CB. Another piece of evidence that CB and cv1 are not the same.

Yes, thanks. I stand corrected.