cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CV1 not as comfy as PSVR.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I don't know how much time Oculus spent on trying to make their device comfortable, but having straps that pull a face plate onto you face just makes things uncomfortable for me. I think you need a certain type of skin for this not to hurt after a while. I hope all future devices are made like the PSVR. The PSVR hedseat doesn't have any pressure been applied to your face because it uses the top of your head which feels more like a helmet. I just hope CV2 looks something like PSVR.
48 REPLIES 48

Sakkura
Heroic Explorer
Yeah Sony seems to have come up with a better mounting system.

You may be able to make the Rift more comfortable by adding some weight to the rear. That balances it more on your head, so it doesn't need to push on your face (as much) to transfer the weight to the strap across the top of your head.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Sakkura - I tried doing that with some weights and at first I thought it helped, but it was hard to balance the weight between the back and front of the head and it didn't work. The face plate still applied pressure to your face using weights. I think it's much better having a weight applied to the top of your head rather then a face plate been pulled onto your face. Having any pressure applied to your face is always going to irritate and cause problems. I can wear a motorcycle helmet all day long which applies weight to the top of your head. I just hope they change this when CV2 comes around.

danknugz
Superstar
600 dollas!!
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

danknugz said:

600 dollas!!

Going once....Going twice.  Any more bids? Going...Going... Erm what lol?

Warbloke
Superstar

danknugz said:

600 dollas!!

danky I don't need dolla bills to have fun tonight.
"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer
Why should we have to wait for CV2 for more comfort? I'm sure someone can think of a way to mod the CV1 instead of spending $600+ for comfort.

Warbloke
Superstar
That is a fantastic idea. I was so caught up with just accepting what I had with the CV1, the thought never even occurred to me to chop off the headstraps from the display and see if I could make a better one! Genious !!!

Ok, I have lots of washing up bottles, toilet rolls, bin bags and sticky back plastic... what's your idea?, what do I do next ?

Zoomie
Expert Trustee

There are a few things you can do to ensure a comfortable fit.

1.  The side Velcro should snug the unit to your face without putting pressure on it.  If you feel like it's pulling the Rift against your face, it's probably too tight.  When fitting a Rift, I hold it lightly up to my face and do up the side Velcro without pulling the straps.  You're trying to keep the Rift secure, not pressure-weld it to your face.
2.  The v at the back of the head strap should go below the protrusion of bone in the back of your skull - called the Occiptical Proturberence.  When I first got my Rift I didn't relax the top strap enough to let this happen.  Completely undo the top strap and make sure you pull the plastic surround strap down so it sits just below the notch in your occipital bone.  If you do this correctly it will help a LOT with the feeling that the Rift is front heavy or slipping forward. 
3.  Tilt the headset.  Not everyone realizes that you can tilt the main housing on hinges.  Use tilt to balance the pressure between your forehead and cheeks.  This is also a good way to ensure you have a large sweet spot in the lenses.

If you do all of this correctly the Rift should actually feel a little bit loose.  That's fine.  I often end a play session of several hours with only the faintest hint of 'Oculus Face'.  If you find you have a clearly defined red ring on your face after playing then it's not adjusted well.  This is a VR headset, not a Facehugger.

Even adjusted correctly it sounds like PSVR is a better mounting solution.  I just figured it was worth helping people ensure they've done everything to make the Rift as comfortable as possible!

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

Warbloke
Superstar
Oculus face for me is a lesser issue than Oculus Hair... you know... a kind of sweaty reverse Mohawk ?
Looks to me like PSVR thought about the doo as well.