Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable Management ideas

zork2001
Level 7

I have mostly been fine with the cable on the floor, I think
I was playing Holopoint and was like it would be so much better if the cable
was out of the way for 360 games. I am in the mood for a new project so I looked
to YouTube for some kind of solution and found this video and a part list.

Anyone else find or come up with any other solutions. Basically
the goal is no matter where you walk in the room the cord always stays above
your head, no slack can fall below your head and neck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XVlaqhjoVc&feature=youtu.be

21 REPLIES 21

zork2001
Level 7

Thanks this was an older thread I actually ended up putting
that first guys pulley system. Works pretty good.4juy86q7c5ms.jpg

Lemming1970
Level 8

If I told my missus I'm going to attach dog leashes to the ceiling, the response would not be printable here. Yikes the very thought of it.

And yet it's the best solution here.

Trrying to work out if our light fitting is strong enough to take one and be removable 🙂

Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler. Zotac 1080Ti 16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz

FrozenPea
Level 13
imagine how bad ass it would look if you could hide the pulley system in the ceiling and press a button for your HMD to slowly be lowered when needed... 

I feel like someone with too much money should make this happen...can someone please poke Palmer!  😄
Check out my Medium Sculpts: 
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/49696/frozenpeas-sketchbook

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrozenPeaSculpts

Lemming1970
Level 8
Thinking I might try a decent tape measure.
Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler. Zotac 1080Ti 16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz

Sax-a-boom
Level 8

If I told my missus I'm going to attach dog leashes to the ceiling, the response would not be printable here. Yikes the very thought of it.

And yet it's the best solution here.

Trrying to work out if our light fitting is strong enough to take one and be removable 🙂

I agree. I was thinking about it and also thought about a removable solution. I could probably get away with a screw in the ceiling, so if I could fit the leash to bracket similar to one below, I could slot it in and out as required and without much fuss.                                                                                                cgac9kdutwsb.jpg

Superman217
Level 5
🙂  it seems most of us had the same Idea.
Oculus Rift CV1 (7 Jan 2016), Quest 1 (Oct 2019)
Ryzen 9 3900X | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | G.Skill Trident Neo 32GB DDR4 3600 RGB | EVGA RTX  2070 Black Edition

HiThere_
Level 9

That's why I used clothes lines instead.

But their cord is heavier and more rigid, so using a dog leash would probably have been better.

Alternatives are to use a dog leash that doesn't look like a dog leash (use a small plain black dog leash and slap a "Oculus VR" sticker on it), or to kickstart one.

Short of that : Close the door 🙂

Sax-a-boom
Level 8
Well as I mentioned earlier, I'm going to make the ceiling fittings quickly removable when not in use. Just need to find a good pet place now to test different leads for recoil and no snagging 

stevesideas
Level 3
90 mins run time. Pretty rubbish to be honest. A VR session normally last much longer for me.

Panther6834
Level 2
I realize this is a very-old forum, but here's omething no one here had thought of, and is something that's actually DESIGNED for VR cable-management (and, for those of you with the Vive, this is much cheaper than the wireless pack):
http://www.virtuix.com/product/virtuix-vr-boom/

The VR Boom from Virtuix is $129, can be adjusted to (virtually, no pun intended) any height, and does a much better job at keeping the cable out of harm's way, as the cable "releases" as you walk further from the boom's center-point, and gently retracts as you return to said "center-point".  Besides, with the money saved (again, directed at Vive owners), you can purchase wall mounts for the sensors, instead of using those horrible-looking tripods.  Hopefully, better solutions will be coming, but, for now, this is a more-than-acceptable solution.  I haven't ordered mine yet, but I will be shortly...as soon as i get a third sensor (Oculus Rift) & Rift Earphones, and as soon as i move the computers from the living room, to the guest bedroom (which will become the "computer room").  Game on.....