cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable related gadgets ?

HiThere_
Superstar
1) I wouldn't want to damage my headset or graphic card (or my neck...), by pulling the HDMI cable out while wearing a VR Headset.

I think the easiest way to deal with that is not much of a gadget but just a small ordinary cable extension that easily gives in when pulled at.

The idea with adding that cable extension being that it's cable connection would then always be pointing in a straight line between the PC and the Headset when pulled at, unlike the connectors of the graphic card and headset, which may be pointing in the worst possible direction to be pulled out (like turning your back on your PC and bending forward or even falling forward beyond the maximum cable length).

Because I managed to damage an audio headset like that once, and I wasn't even blindfolded by a VR headset then.

2) I'd rather have the HDMI cable coming from above my head then dangling around my feet (or looping around my neck...).

Short of having someone hold it up there for me, or using my own hand to hold it up there, a coat hanger came to mind. But even if I could see it doubling as my dedicated VR Headset hanger, it's cumbersome and could fall over.

And don't mention hanging the cable to the ceiling either, not just because of the limited cable length issue but also for not wanting anyone to end up with a Darwin Award for being the first guy who managed to hang himself to his ceiling by entangling his neck in his own VR Headset cable before tripping over...

So I think the kind of gadget I'd like for that is a curved and flexible plastic rod to hold the HDMI cable above my head, which I could clip to a desk, or to the back of my favorite swivel chair, or even to my own back really.

It doesn't need to be bulky, it just needs to hold up the cable, not the whole headset.

I'm curious to know what solutions current DK1/DK2 have come up with, other then tripping over the cable and crashing through windows (the Microsoft one, or the one at the top of their building), or if these problems are considered to be non-issues ?

PS : Even for a seated experience, I can see myself using a swivel chair to avoid the "stick yaw control VR poison", and ending up swiveling too much for my own good on it.
4 REPLIES 4

jim1174
Protege
just get some kind of extension cable.

joan
Protege
"jim1174" wrote:
just get some kind of extension cable.

That doesn't help with point 2. Might even make it worse.

These problems are not considered non-issues at all.

"Palmer Luckey" wrote:
Cables are going to be a major obstacle in the VR industry for a long time. Mobile VR will be successful long before PC VR goes wireless.

It is important to design both hardware and software with those limitations in mind. Real users won't have cable servants.

My personal curse is during development, to get up from the desk and push back the swivel chair, and one of the leg rolls above the cable. Every damn time.

I think I prefer the "hanging from the ceiling" approach. There are 360° rotating HDMI adapters that could be used for this maybe.

HiThere_
Superstar
"joan" wrote:
These problems are not considered non-issues at all.

"Palmer Luckey" wrote:
Real users won't have cable servants.

I think I prefer the "hanging from the ceiling" approach. There are 360° rotating HDMI adapters that could be used for this maybe.

I was thinking of a only a small cable extension, so your 360° rotating HDMI adapter suggestion is what I was looking for.

Short of wireless the next step would be finding something as convenient as a retractable dog leash, but balanced to not pull too much at the headset (or designed to pull on something else then directly on the headset).

Maybe just the ceiling approach is enough, or running the cable through a high enough piece of furniture, so it dangles without reaching the floor.

And for places with no high enough furniture available : Pass the cable though a fishing rod like pole you can clip to a desk as I initially mentioned.

Thank you 🙂

PS : About your personal curse, maybe you could use a swivel chair with the brakes on, and get used to swiveling out instead of pushing your way out of it.

Walky
Explorer
I suppose most HDMI 360 adapters have a limited movement range since they are designed to use with fixed equipment, and might even be prone to premature failure after constant movement. For continuous rotation you need to use a slip ring, but it will depend greatly on its quality. I have seen some slip rings designed specifically for HDMI, but I guess they must be pricey when compared to the more DIY-oriented slip rings you can find on Ebay (which I highly doubt would be reliable enough for HDMI).