cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Occlusion?

Anonymous
Not applicable
So how is Oculus going to deal with camera occlusion? So far we have only seen them show off a single camera for tracking, and we already know that the DK2 tracking can be easily broken if you get too crazy with your hands, or leaning outside of the range. I was honestly expecting some sort of small space tracking, similar to Lighthouse. Now that they have the Half Moon input, aren't we going to find people blocking the tracking with their hands?
24 REPLIES 24

Calanar
Honored Guest
That is the most relevant question about the Oculus Touch. If standing experiences are okay how will it perform when your body is between you and the camera. Is there a two camera solution? What is the plan, thoughts behind it. Thank you for bringing up this important topic.
Michael Tenery, Software, RPG and Game Developer. Imagine Role Playing: http://www.role-playing.com

VizionVR
Rising Star
It's done with mirrors, dude! How else could any of this be done?

[edit] They didn't go into any detail at the Event. Reviewers will surely test this out at E3.
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

Malkmus1979
Explorer
I too am curious about the tracker. Hard to find any info about it and I'm unable to rewatch any part of the conference at the moment.

whitedragon101
Explorer
"jngdwe" wrote:
So how is Oculus going to deal with camera occlusion? So far we have only seen them show off a single camera for tracking, and we already know that the DK2 tracking can be easily broken if you get too crazy with your hands, or leaning outside of the range. I was honestly expecting some sort of small space tracking, similar to Lighthouse. Now that they have the Half Moon input, aren't we going to find people blocking the tracking with their hands?

I agree this is the most crucial part of the Oculus package. I think their headset will probably have the edge on the Vive (lighter+integrated audio). All they need to be a viable alternative to the Vive is make sure those new controllers can be tracked when you turn around. If they announce they are tracked when turning around via a second camera or something then its still anyones game.

Vive :
HMD tracked, Controllers tracked, turning around, walking around

Oculus :
HMD tracked, Controllers tracked

I really hope they add the last two.

Lhun
Explorer
"whitedragon101" wrote:
"jngdwe" wrote:

I agree this is the most crucial part of the Oculus package. I think their headset will probably have the edge on the Vive (lighter+integrated audio). All they need to be a viable alternative to the Vive is make sure those new controllers can be tracked when you turn around. If they announce they are tracked when turning around via a second camera or something then its still anyones game.

Vive :
HMD tracked, Controllers tracked, turning around, walking around

Oculus :
HMD tracked, Controllers tracked

I really hope they add the last two.

They did say "it's a seated and standing experience", you'll be able to "get up and move around a bit". Emphasis on the "a bit" and that's probably good. There was kickback about the whole 15x15 area thing, lots of people DIDN'T really want that.

I remain optimistic. Constellation sounds like IR point cloud (think kinect) and with microsoft revealed as a partner I would be VERY surprised if this isn't the case. It's probably enhanced Kinect mocap with enhanced precision from the oculus itself, PLUS ir.

benplace
Rising Star
The controllers, being sold seperatley would have to come with another camera or an attachment to the HMD or something. No way they can't be tracked as you turn around. The HMD has sensors in the rear strap...

CaptnYesterday
Honored Guest
Tracking radius and occlusion for not only the HMD but for Oculus Touch as well. I can see a desk and your body (especially when turning) being big trouble for occlusion. Has this been addressed somewhere else that I did not see?

VizionVR
Rising Star
"CaptnYesterday" wrote:
Tracking radius and occlusion for not only the HMD but for Oculus Touch as well. I can see a desk and your body (especially when turning) being big trouble for occlusion. Has this been addressed somewhere else that I did not see?

The HMD has IR LEDs on the back of the headstrap.
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

CaptnYesterday
Honored Guest
"vizionvr" wrote:
"CaptnYesterday" wrote:

The HMD has IR LEDs on the back of the headstrap.

My bad. Was not clear. I was agreeing that hands/Oculus Touch could occlude the HMD while the desk and turning might occlude the Oculus Touch. If radius is not wide enough, you will also reach 'outside' the camera's cone. Input looks awesome and not poo-pooing anything. Just concerned.