cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Use My GTX 1050 2GB To Play VR Games With A Oculus Rift S or Oculus Quest 2?

ItzPingu_
Level 2
Hello,

This is my first time here and with VR Experience in general, i was wondering if my setup could work for the Ouclus Rift S or the Oculus Quest 2 (PC VR Mode).
Here's my Setup:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 (Not Overclocked)
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1050 2GB (Not Overclocked)
RAM: DDR4 8GB

Thanks to everyone!
7 REPLIES 7

Richooal
Level 12
Welcome.

This is a support article which lists graphic cards that work with Rift S. In the minimum requirements section it shows GTX1050  4Gb version.
https://support.oculus.com/4002430699785546

This is a support article that shows which graphic cards will be okay for Link (Quest 2 - PCVR mode). You card is not supported.
https://support.oculus.com/444652019523821/

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

ItzPingu_
Level 2
If I use Virtual Desktop with the Oculus Quest 2?

ItzPingu_
Level 2

Richooal said:

Welcome.

This is a support article which lists graphic cards that work with Rift S. In the minimum requirements section it shows GTX1050  4Gb version.

This is a support article that shows which graphic cards will be okay for Link (Quest 2 - PCVR mode). You card is not supported.

And if I use Virtual Desktop, it will work?

OmegaM4N
Level 11
it will work but you are talking about the lowest settings on everything, and not everything will work, and a lot of the bigger games even at lowest settings simply won't run, and V desktop while being great does not work with every game.....so with that setup it's a gameble to be honest until you plug it all on......of course the Quest 2 also can play vr without a PC, so there is that option if you don't mind having your games locked to one hardware.....i mean for £299 you could grab a Q2, try it on your setup and if it does not work then you can return it for a full refund.

ItzPingu_
Level 2

OmegaM4N said:

it will work but you are talking about the lowest settings on everything, and not everything will work, and a lot of the bigger games even at lowest settings simply won't run, and V desktop while being great does not work with every game.....so with that setup it's a gameble to be honest until you plug it all on......of course the Quest 2 also can play vr without a PC, so there is that option if you don't mind having your games locked to one hardware.....i mean for £299 you could grab a Q2, try it on your setup and if it does not work then you can return it for a full refund.

Yeah, thanks I think I will try this, in case I will use the Q2 without PC and simply enjoy my time with it

LuluViBritannia
Level 9
That's what I have and yes, it works. People must stop answering questions they don't have the answer for. A GTX 1050 2GB is enough to run most games. But you'll have to keep low/medium graphics settings and stay at 72 Hz.
The only games I ran issue with was because of my CPU and RAM, not the GPU. Blade&Sorcery, for example, shuts itself down because I run out of RAM.

VD works perfectly too. In fact, it works better than Link because VD doesn't run the Oculus software, which relieves the GPU and CPU.
Hyped for the Quest 2!

My hopes for VR next gen:
- Full Body Tracking. Come on, Oculus!
- Eye tracking with foveated rendering. Must reduce the power needs!
- More big-scale games. I need a true VRMMORPG!
- Bigger community.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."

OmegaM4N
Level 11

ItzPingu_ said:

OmegaM4N said:

Yeah, thanks I think I will try this, in case I will use the Q2 without PC and simply enjoy my time with it

Yeah at least with the Q2 you can fall back on mobile vr gaming.......well good luck, hope it all works out. 😉