cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you create an option to ship today for a fee?

Herolord
Protege
I would gladly pay an extra 50 dollars to have the rift shipped now instead of in June. Surely, an extra 50 would make it economically viable to produce them fast enough to be able to ship to everyone already promised to ship by now, and to those that pay the fee to forego the wait. Assuming the company isn't LOSING money for the 300 dollar price (unlikely), and extra 50 per request should make it possible, and a win-win for customers and for the manufacturer.
34 REPLIES 34

slugger
Honored Guest
the production and shippingspeed is the bottleneck. giving them extramoney wont speed up anything.

norgoth
Honored Guest
and everybody will take the + 50 dollar fast shipping and you will have you re rift in 2-3 month ( same as now without the fee ) 😄

Herolord
Protege
You're both neglecting the fact that with the new money, they can hire more people to produce more, order more parts/faster etc whatever the issue is. If everyone payed the 50 dollar fee, they would still have the same amount of orders, except they would have more money. It isn't as though everything would simply scale to have the issue remain.

norgoth
Honored Guest
i think this is not so easy.
They had a deal with a chinese manufactory. this factory had built a production line. it s not so flexible to say " guys we have a few extra money,could you built another production line and send extra rift next week ? "

Herolord
Protege
"norgoth" wrote:
They had a deal with a chinese manufactory. this factory had built a production line. it s not so flexible to say " guys we have a few extra money,could you built another production line and send extra rift next week ? "

50 dollars is a significant percentage of the current price, and I'm willing to bet that most would pay upto 100 extra to get it now. Surely the Chinese company would say hells yes, assuming they like money. It's win-win-win (the Chinese company, oculus, us)? I think the explanation to the current shipping shortage is that oculus did not anticipate such success and such a demand, but I'm sure the Chinese company would not mind a tweaking to the deal if it means more money.

norgoth
Honored Guest
But if you trust Palmer , next month the people who order a devkit will certainly receive it in a very short time.
Doing an investisment for only one month is not good i think.
And the Oculus plan is to doing a device with a gamer friendly price. increase the price for fast shipping not match with this goal

Christiaan
Protege
"Herolord" wrote:
"norgoth" wrote:

50 dollars is a significant percentage of the current price, and I'm willing to bet that most would pay upto 100 extra to get it now. Surely the Chinese company would say hells yes, assuming they like money. It's win-win-win (the Chinese company, oculus, us)? I think the explanation to the current shipping shortage is that oculus did not anticipate such success and such a demand, but I'm sure the Chinese company would not mind a tweaking to the deal if it means more money.

This is not how a production line works. You are making some huge assumptions.

If you have one kitchen with one stove and oven, someone could not pay you more to have a greater capacity to accommodate guests. You'd need a new house.

This is what production is often like.

Gerald
Expert Protege
"Herolord" wrote:
"norgoth" wrote:

If the production line is already at a 100% then it's not a question of "ask the workers to do extra hours", but of opening up an extra production line and training new workers. For that they would not need a few bucks extra, but a steady extra orders coming in.
If the production is at a lower operating grade it would be an option, but I very much doubt that is the case.

In any case they won't do it - because people would cry out about the unfairness of such a thing.
check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons

captaintrips
Explorer
i'd gladly pay an extra $200 to have the rift tomorrow, but I'd assume everyone else would too, so it'd put us right back in the same spot, lol.

The problem with premium expedited "have it now" options is that if you make it too cheap, everyone jumps on it and everyones right back in the same hole. Make it too expensive, and no one jumps on it. Of course, in this situation, im fairly positive it could be expensive, and there'd still be a whole heck of a lot of "must have it now"-ers (such as myself) who would pay that to get it tomorrow due to the rift popularity and interest. Of course, it depends on perspective... some say that's morally wrong and ripping people off, HOWEVER... supply and demand, lol. And the money goes right back into research and development or towards future product finances, so others would say it's worth every penny. Though back to the moral aspect, most would refrain from doing so... since those waiting patiently and that would be up next in linewould be bumped back because of another person who is impatient and has a bigger wallet. In other words, it would anger more customers than it would make happy.

For example, lets say you about to get your rift and its the last one they can ship until they get their new stock in 3 weeks.... and then you find out that I paid a $200 premium to get that one even though I ordered mine 3 weeks after you, and thus your bumped back in waiting for another month until stock arrives. How would that make YOU feel? That's what I'm trying to say.