cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you run vivecraft on low end pc? + Garry's Mod

achil9
Explorer

I have a mid range-low end laptop.  I plan on picking up a oculus quest 2 soon and was wondering, if I got virtual desktop and used it for Vivecraft. Would it run any good? Minecraft itself runs good and 300 fps ( I cap it at 100 FPS). I can usually get around 70 FPS with a LARGE amount of mods added but I know not to compare flat games to VR. I was also wondering how Garry's Mod would run due to my Xbox 360 Kinect failing due to the 20H1 update for windows (I used the Kinect like if it was VR). I plan on using VRMod (pretty sure its the only one out there rn). Just going to be playing with guns nothing intense. Sorry if this is a dumb question I'm very new to VR. 

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 3 3250U with Radeon Graphics 2.60 GHz

8.00 GB Ram

AMD Radeon Vega 3 Graphics

And remember this is a LAPTOP not a pc. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star

they say desktop graphics are 2x better than laptop graphics for the same card.

and the vivecraft says it takes 2gb videocard memory, so to put that into perspective thats desktop videocard memory so 4 gb videocard memory is needed if you use my previous point of the desktop graphics being 2x as strong as a laptop.

if your videocard is even as strong as a 1050ti idk google it to see.. here is did it for you, your videocard is way weaker than even a desktop 1050ti:

UserBenchmark: AMD RX Vega 3 (Ryzen iGPU) vs Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti

which is really weak so i don't think so.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

ohgrant
Superstar

No I think your CPU will give you issues, for link the minimum Ryzen is 1500x. here is a comparison of the recommended 1500x and your mobile CPU.   https://cpu-comparison.com/

Here are the minimum requirements. https://support.oculus.com/444256562873335/  

Not sure you can even install the Oculus PC software on it. 

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

What do you think just trying to run Garry's Mod in VR? Not that interested in Vivecraft anymore. Just looking forward to VRMod. I should just wait till I get the VR instead of writing forum posts so I can just see how it runs myself. Its a pretty low end game.

Also, thank you for not being a d*ck. Every post I have made on reddit and other forums for VR asking the same question, everyone is a d*ck.

ohgrant
Superstar

Running the apps I don't think would be the issue, to be honest, I have my doubts it would even get you to the Oculus PC home screen without serious crashing issues. You can try to install the PC software now before you get the hardware to see if you can get it installed. 

If you're into game mods, the Quest sure has game mods. Doom 3, Quake 2, Return to castle wolfenstein, the original half life even a virtual boy emulator. All available with dev mode enabled natively on the Quest.  

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

My smooth brain cant really tell what your saying. I'm thinking your saying I can run the game just cant run the oculus pc app? Sorry but I cant really understand what your telling me. Also what about game mods? Not understanding that either.. I'm just trying to run a simple source engine game in VR that's pretty much it. Forget Vivecraft, don't really care that much. Garry's mod is so much better haha.

EDIT: Also I'm not going to be using a oculus link, instead I'm using virtual desktop because I have everything but a good pc.

ohgrant
Superstar

It may be possible with Virtual Desktop since you won't be launching Oculus home,  I'm not sure if you are looking for a full VR experience with Gary's mod or just a big immersive screen?  I'm pretty confident you will be able to Stream that game to your Quest on an immersive 2D screen. All you need installed on PC is their free desktop streamer https://www.vrdesktop.net/   

As for what I mean about the mods available for Quest via sidequest. There are already full VR mods running natively on the Quest with similar similar system requirements as Gary's mod. I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up at some point in sidequest. 

Still can't make any guarantees, you may be the first to try what you're wanting to do.   

Yea, I'm trying to use the VRMod from the Garry's Mod workshop, it adds VR. I don't think it will run bad because I usually get high frames on the game (200 fps average without large addons) and anyways the addon recommends not having any addons installed during gameplay so ill just have stock Garry's Mod that I'm planning to play with friends,  also no I'm wanting a "full VR experience". Just want to move around some stuff and play with guns. That's pretty much it, not that demanding eh? 

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star

they say desktop graphics are 2x better than laptop graphics for the same card.

and the vivecraft says it takes 2gb videocard memory, so to put that into perspective thats desktop videocard memory so 4 gb videocard memory is needed if you use my previous point of the desktop graphics being 2x as strong as a laptop.

if your videocard is even as strong as a 1050ti idk google it to see.. here is did it for you, your videocard is way weaker than even a desktop 1050ti:

UserBenchmark: AMD RX Vega 3 (Ryzen iGPU) vs Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti

which is really weak so i don't think so.