cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canned compressed air for cleaning lenses?

mambo1888
Rising Star
Ive heard of a few people saying they are get micro scratches from using the micro fibre cleaning cloth on the lenses of their HMD's. I am thinking of ordering a can of compressed air to remove particles from inside the Vive/Rift before using the cloth, is this a good idea, does anyone else use this method?

I know you should always give the can a blast away from what you intend to clean to remove any liquid air (I think its called) and keep the can upright. If used correctly is it a good method for cleaning the lenses or could it cause more damage?
34 REPLIES 34

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Canned air is good apparently because there can be specks of dust which when wiped with a cloth can scratch the lenses. Blowing away the dust before you wipe seems prudent. I think the recommendation is air - moisture - cloth.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

mambo1888
Rising Star

Canned air is good apparently because there can be specks of dust which when wiped with a cloth can scratch the lenses. Blowing away the dust before you wipe seems prudent. I think the recommendation is air - moisture - cloth.

Cheers mate, thats my thinking but wasn't sure if it was recommended or if it was something they warned against for any reason, just wanted to make sure. Think I will order a couple of cans theyre always handy to have lying around anyway.

Lemming1970
Rising Star
The only issue I could see is blowing small water particles(the misting) into the head set may cause long term issues. It would of course not remove finger/ eye lash marks off the lenses. Which I would have thought was more of an issue than dust!
Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler. Zotac 1080Ti 16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz

mambo1888
Rising Star

The only issue I could see is blowing small water particles(the misting) into the head set may cause long term issues. It would of course not remove finger/ eye lash marks off the lenses. Which I would have thought was more of an issue than dust!

Yeah I was thinking that, but if you give it a blast first (away from the lenses) and keep it up right there shouldn't be any liquid air, I think, with just a couple of blasts. I still plan to use a damp micro fibre cloth after, but the air would be to remove any particles that could cause scratching if you go straight in with the cloth.

I did have a concern that the compressed air could force small particles through any gaps and end up with particles in the space between the lenses and displays.

Skiwee
Explorer
I'd recommend having a special micro-fiber cloth that you only use for the lenses and store it in a container, that's what I do (have glasses as well). Canned air is a rather aggressive way of removing a little statically charged dust. Also I'd think you'd just be blowing more dust into the headset.

If your getting scratches from a mirco-fiber you need to wash it cause it's full of dirt (don't leave it on your desk).

mambo1888
Rising Star

Skiwee said:

I'd recommend having a special micro-fiber cloth that you only use for the lenses and store it in a container, that's what I do (have glasses as well). Canned air is a rather aggressive way of removing a little statically charged dust. Also I'd think you'd just be blowing more dust into the headset.

If your getting scratches from a mirco-fiber you need to wash it cause it's full of dirt (don't leave it on your desk).

Thanks for the advice, Ive personally not had any issues but there have been other members reporting micro scratches on there lenses so Im just trying to figure out the best way to maintain them properly and avoid any issues. I have just been using the microfibre cloth that came with some 3d glasses and its stored in the glasses case when not in use.

When I had my DK2 I would sometimes just blow very hard to disturb any dust or other particles and then quickly put the mini dyson over it, this seemed to work well, then id wipe the lenses with a damp cloth.

Trytiped
Adventurer
@mambo1888 I was using compressed air but I have a better recommendation then having to waste your money refueling compressed air. This lens pen has an amazing brush for dusting off the lenses without scratching them http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00006JN3G/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1464020894&sr=8-2π=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp...
It comes with a lens cleaner on the other end but doesnt seem to do the trick in actually cleaning off the smudges so for cleaning I would stick to a microfiber cloth.
For a high quality microfiber cloth I recommend looking into magicfiber also on amazon it does an amazing job cleaning the lenses.

mambo1888
Rising Star

Trytiped said:

@mambo1888 I was using compressed air but I have a better recommendation then having to waste your money refueling compressed air. This lens pen has an amazing brush for dusting off the lenses without scratching them http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00006JN3G/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1464020894&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwe...

It comes with a lens cleaner on the other end but doesnt seem to do the trick in actually cleaning off the smudges so for cleaning I would stick to a microfiber cloth.

For a high quality microfiber cloth I recommend looking into magicfiber also on amazon it does an amazing job cleaning the lenses.

Thanks for the link, it looks interesting, do you use one yourself? I probably could do with getting some canned air and giving my PC a bit of spring clean anyway, would you say its worth getting even if I have canned air?

nulpher243
Explorer
I primarily give it a quick blast with the air can and wipe.  No problems here.  Just make sure you don't tilt the can.