Honored Guest
This is on Engadget.. story and video.

New Oculus Rift Dev Kit?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/18/oculus-rift-john-carmack-interview/
98 REPLIES 98

Anonymous
Not applicable
thank you so much for sharing ❤️
I love hearing Carmack speak in general, let alone on oculus rift technology!

his comments about the next dev kit don't really indicate a PUBLIC dev kit, I am sure there have been many revisions since the one most people have at home.

CrazyMisty
Honored Guest
Kinda contradicts what they said before saying there wouldn't have been another Dev Kit... eghhhh
Ordered 27/09/13 Order Status -=ARRIVED!!!=-

dopingVR
Expert Protege
Well I'm eager for an official response to this.

Nooch79
Honored Guest
A 2nd dev kit is/could be a big mistake unless it will strictly be for big-time developers or smaller teams who have produced quality stuff with the current dev kit.
Also, not sure i'm digging this Android thing, i see mountains of shovel ware being produced...oh god! Angry Birds VR.
Ordered: 27th Sept 2013 / Order: 080XXX / Arrived

Frito
Explorer
"Nooch79" wrote:
A 2nd dev kit is/could be a big mistake unless it will strictly be for big-time developers or smaller teams who have produced quality stuff with the current dev kit.

im betting on that too...

edit; seems like anyone could get the dk2... I CANT SPEND MORE MONEY ON THIS VR STUFF!!! :lol:
Backer "Have faith." -Palmer Luckey

KBK
Protege
Insertion of a new item in the given market, can never be cleanly done to perfection. A slight cleanup on some aisle, will always be required. The trick is to minimize it.

The timing is never perfect, it is just done well as it can be done, and then...just... get it done.

A few 'yoo basterds! (I am so suck!)' threads for getting the last old version kits, and then the pain/wank is over.

As I advised, as one tends to do when selling product: Use the last of the old for discount, warranty, and promo work.

Endure the hiccup in sales numbers for that one month, as the numbers afterward WILL take care of that, and more.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

cegli
Honored Guest
Hmm... Awesome interview.

Interesting Points:

Carmack is working on a secret project for Oculus that's going to be rolling out into a "whole bunch of things".

Positional Tracking - Frantically working on it. Hydra RFC, not good enough for a HMD, but good enough for wands. Optical Tracking Methods are what they're working on. Inside out, Outside In, Active LEDs, Flashed Illumination.

Android - Eventually in the future, best of both worlds is to be able to run something like Quake 3 on the headset, no wires, etc. Then if you want to play Battlefield 5 at 120hz, you use your PC.

DK2 - "The plan that is clear is there will be another Developer Kit release that has a bunch of this stuff in there before it goes into something that is really broadbased consumer."

I can only assume at this point that he is talking about a DevKit going to their partners like the current 1080p devkit, but who knows. It seems way too late in the game to be tooling up a whole new manufacturing process for a DK2, unless they have it already in the works.

KBK
Protege
Tooling is the most minor expense and can be done quickly these days. As well, they've rode this bicycle already and the systems is primed and greased. The second birth is like greased lightning, compared to the first.

edit:

The new model is direct. You leave enough room for those who wish to market and these folks need to come to you with cash and capacity in hand.

My personal thoughts are to keep control of your own market. Getting others to align with your vision is always a problem and having that 'other' hand yanking your money and future chain, all over a dollar, is NOT what you want.

IF..one is in the Catbird seat, as Oculus is, then.... no need to compromise. Don't even think about it, just because it is standard marketing practice. That model is DEAD.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

antigravity
Explorer
"cegli" wrote:

I can only assume at this point that he is talking about a DevKit going to their partners like the current 1080p devkit, but who knows. It seems way too late in the game to be tooling up a whole new manufacturing process for a DK2, unless they have it already in the works.

Developers don't really need the straight 1080p devkit in a functional sort of way. That's why it stays at a limited PR release.

But once the positional tracking, stereo cameras, and the hyperdrive is rolling in that thing?-
All developers are going to need that tech in order to create content and insure functionality.

That absolutely has to be released to the dev community, no matter what.
Especially when they are now talking about a possible 2015 consumer release..