cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Codemasters F1 2022 - VR Likelihood *edit: It's coming!!! ‌

*Edited to include above preview video

We now have some fantastic made-for-VR titles to enjoy.

We've had VR support added to Fallout and Skyrim at quite an early stage.

We now have a Microsoft Flight Simulator that has pretty decent VR built in.

There's a glaring absence of one title that is screaming out for overdue inclusion of VR and it would make my personal list of top games pretty much complete.... F1.

I still enjoy monitor gaming, and like some have said, they can't go back to monitor flight sims (I can by the way), what I can't do is go back to monitor racing. Unlike flight sims where you can get into control peripherals and systems that benefit from being seen, and frame rates that bring even expensive GPUs to their knees, there's absolutely nothing holding back racing from being a VR activity, at least not from the consumer's perspective.

I haven't bought an F1 title since getting a headset and experiencing ProjectCARS, Assetto Corsa and rFactor 2... then Codemaster's own Dirt Rally. And I used to buy them every year.

I've been looking for development news quite regularly but I thought it would be good to start a thread now rather than wait to hear that it is or isn't going to have VR in the next release.  Who knows, forum posts are read by developers from time to time and could have a small influence at a stage when it can make a difference.

What are your thoughts?

How likely do you think it will be?

Is it on your wish list or are there enough titles to keep you entertained?

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be an instant buy for me. Already have the racing setup ready to go.

I would love to see that happen. But without VR I would not purchase it.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Would indeed be nice to have in VR. I really love Cars 2 and especially 3, but F1 2022 would be awesome - even if some of us may need to dust off the wireless xbox controller, lol.

I doubt F1 2022 will get any VR support if the devs haven't mentioned VR support by now.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

@Anonymous yeah same for me, instant buy. So many people now mention VR support in race forums when they talk about F1. It must be near the point now where the number of VR users and potential sales justify the extra development time.

@RuneSR2 I personally put it at 50/50 for the next release. I hear Codemasters are hiring 'for it's most ambitious and biggest game in ten years'. I'm not sure if that's the next F1 game, it kind of sounds like it may be something new. It seems to be something the Cheshire group are going to be working on, who were formerly Evolution Studios but now part of Codemasters.

The problem I think is that the Codemasters games have a big focus on cross-platform support these days, so VR for PC would be a small part of their thinking. PSVR 2 may shift the equation a bit and make cross-platform less of a hinderance to a business decisions of whether to include VR or not.

Ok, as per the edited thread title... yes... yes, it's coming. It'll be with us in July, in time for my birthday 😀

And unlike FS this shouldn't need a top whack GPU to be playable. I think this is going to be another major title contributing to headsets sales. Really good news and once VR is included, there's no going back for future versions of F1.

Happy VRing everyone.

Edit: the announcement says Oculus and Vive so I'm guessing the Oculus version is native as per their previous Rally games, that would be icing on the cake.

Preview video added to original post.

I'm getting a bit excited about this, have pre-ordered and should get 3 days early access. If I'm able to I'll post a quick initial review before the release date.