cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collecting dust

RetroActive84
Expert Protege

So I find my self having spent a lot of money on the quest 2, thanks to all the hype in hopes of great things. My experiences and opinions: I have seen from Meta/facebook on their metaverse and what they claim their metaverse is and will be. Promise of what updates would bring. SO far I have seen more bugs and issues with the quest updates and a lot of the promises being either not filled or not exatly what they make you think it will be, or the promised features have bugs and issues. 

3rd party accessories being cheaper in prices and better quality than the meta company versions. I have come to love Kiwi's accessories a lot. 

Then there is the apps and games... A bulk of the games are virtual offices, movie players, exercise games, metaverse enviroments, and zombie games. 

Not to mention that with the avatars we get a lot of customization options suited for females or genderfluid people and no way to full capture our real self let a lone an good self imagined version. you would think we would see more sports teams, movie themed items, or video game themed items and props and such.  No what we get instead is avatars that make you look like you are a character from one of those Dollar general kids movies that are rip offs of major movies. Even Worlds looks like something that belongs on PBS some Preschool cartoon. ad it's building enviroment ismostly just geometric shapes and crude coding tools that takes a whole college course to understand. there are no prefab items, nothing that looks not cartoony. It takes you 3 weeks just to craft a cool looking building or tree cause you spend time shringing and adjusting each detail, or you spend hours to code a light to turn on and off. I am a big fan of crafting games, from fallout 4, to fallout 76, conan exiles, 7days to die and many more. and playing those games and coming to worlds makes my stomach churn. 

We get many excuses from the people of meta as to why this it looks this way or why there are bugs and even why we dont have legs, which they claim the tech isn't there yet... and with their excuses, I must point out, Games like VR Chat, Sansa, and Somnium space and leaves me to wonder how is the tech not there to have legs..... so pretty  much we are imagining that the 3 formentioned games having legs, those legs are imaginary. 

I know many will try to stand up for meta on my feelings thoughts and opinions here and thats ok you have your right to disagree.. how ever I am entitled to mine too. 

I love that the sponsored content creators of meta quest are people who seem to be on a meta leash and bark when told, if someone is honest about thier thoughts like "the mysticle", "gethip" and a few others, meta tries to make them look like they dont exist. 

So yeah my Quest 2 has been hanging on my wall mounted VR headset rest for a month now collecting dust. I am looking into investing in either the VIVE, index or PSVR2, and will come back to my quest 2 when the content isn't buggy or look like something from Romper Room or Paw Patrol or something of that nature. 

34 REPLIES 34

PITTCANNA
Visionary

@RetroActive84 wrote:

So I find my self having spent a lot of money on the quest 2, thanks to all the hype in hopes of great things. My experiences and opinions: I have seen from Meta/facebook on their metaverse and what they claim their metaverse is and will be. Promise of what updates would bring. SO far I have seen more bugs and issues with the quest updates and a lot of the promises being either not filled or not exatly what they make you think it will be, or the promised features have bugs and issues. 

3rd party accessories being cheaper in prices and better quality than the meta company versions. I have come to love Kiwi's accessories a lot. 

Then there is the apps and games... A bulk of the games are virtual offices, movie players, exercise games, metaverse enviroments, and zombie games. 

Not to mention that with the avatars we get a lot of customization options suited for females or genderfluid people and no way to full capture our real self let a lone an good self imagined version. you would think we would see more sports teams, movie themed items, or video game themed items and props and such.  No what we get instead is avatars that make you look like you are a character from one of those Dollar general kids movies that are rip offs of major movies. Even Worlds looks like something that belongs on PBS some Preschool cartoon. ad it's building enviroment ismostly just geometric shapes and crude coding tools that takes a whole college course to understand. there are no prefab items, nothing that looks not cartoony. It takes you 3 weeks just to craft a cool looking building or tree cause you spend time shringing and adjusting each detail, or you spend hours to code a light to turn on and off. I am a big fan of crafting games, from fallout 4, to fallout 76, conan exiles, 7days to die and many more. and playing those games and coming to worlds makes my stomach churn. 

We get many excuses from the people of meta as to why this it looks this way or why there are bugs and even why we dont have legs, which they claim the tech isn't there yet... and with their excuses, I must point out, Games like VR Chat, Sansa, and Somnium space and leaves me to wonder how is the tech not there to have legs..... so pretty  much we are imagining that the 3 formentioned games having legs, those legs are imaginary. 

I know many will try to stand up for meta on my feelings thoughts and opinions here and thats ok you have your right to disagree.. how ever I am entitled to mine too. 

I love that the sponsored content creators of meta quest are people who seem to be on a meta leash and bark when told, if someone is honest about thier thoughts like "the mysticle", "gethip" and a few others, meta tries to make them look like they dont exist. 

So yeah my Quest 2 has been hanging on my wall mounted VR headset rest for a month now collecting dust. I am looking into investing in either the VIVE, index or PSVR2, and will come back to my quest 2 when the content isn't buggy or look like something from Romper Room or Paw Patrol or something of that nature. 

Heres my take its a tale of what could be cool and innovative, has now been squandered.  I have been an oculus owner since quest 1 on the tail end. The quest 1 offered a lot of great things (nothing really killer) just the overall concept of a wireless system that is self contained with the idea of hooking to pc for pcvr.  I was hype for quest 2 based upon raw specs and understood the compromises due to the price point they were aiming at, and i reluctantly re-activated.

Now after owning the quest 2 since its launch in october 2020, my emotions are mixed on the unit because broken promises and under realized hardware.

• Promised 90hz (some games run at 72) unit is capable of 120 and only one game takes advantage of the full 120
  • Subscption based games (boxvr now fitxr is bait and switch)
  • unclear multi-player app share (if it works, its a odd way to utilize it) solo users i feel pay premium for not being able to have floating licenses
  • the pcvr aspect while it has made progress - each update breaks it and you spend a few days tweaking the odt and in pc app settings
  • 4 months into 2022 and silence on decoupling from facebook
  • the games released in the past year are nothing worth writing home about the best titles are not even the newest ones
  • minor bugs and glitches that sometime require a full factory reset to rectify  
  • the simplest of features often get the most overlooked. (like the ability to permanently clean up your library not just having to go the filter everytime you start the unit)

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

I do not play simple games made for phone gpus, or at least not many. Quest 2 uses the Adreno 650 gpu (part of the XR2 SoC), so you're basically playing phone games in VR, and of course this will greatly limit your experience.

Here's a phone with the Adreno 650 😉 

Xiaomi-Mi-10-5G-Geekbench-igeekphone-2-1.png

Get a proper rig, with a RTX 3060 Ti or better and try some real VR. A 3060 Ti is about 20 times faster than an Adreno 650 gpu. Try games like Alyx, Lone Echo 1-2, Asgard's Wrath, Stormland etc, and you can still use the Quest 2 for your PC games using (Air-)Link. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

I use my quest 2 with games on my PC via the link cable, I have a 3080 with 32gb ram on an i7 9700, I play Have Games like Fallout 4 vr, skyrim vr, borderlands vr, and I have lone echo 1-2, if you read my post through you would have seen that I planned on getting a Vive, index or the PSvr2

I feel you, I am not new to VR either,  had an HTC Vive Pro once (it got stolen by a friend of an ex roommate) I also had a PSVR1 that I gave to my nephew cause he wanted a VR, knowing what other VR headsets can do, and what other games can do I am left wondering what is going on in the head of meta with the quest.  Before Meta bought the oculus company the headsets were great from what I learned.  So hearing from you as someone who has had the others pretty much confirms my thoughts that meta doesn't know what they are doing or they dont really care and think cause its VR and trendy we will accept what they tell us.

I thought you primarily complained about the Quest 2 standalone games and apps.

The Index is awesome, do get one if you want PCVR with few compromises.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Bendit74
MVP
MVP

The Index is good but it's expensive. Also, you are tethered.

Quest 2 with AirLink is next-level. No wires at all.

Intel i7-7700K, 32GB RAM - nVidia GTX 1070 Amp Edition 8GB GDDR5. Link Cable.

quest 2 battery, dies and have to recharge a lot, and when connected to link cable... doesn't charge at all, battery still drains, VR head set with no battery? constant power!

Bendit74
MVP
MVP

Zip-tie a battery pack to your Quest 2.

This one is known to work great:

Amazon.com: Anker Portable Charger, 10000mAh Power Bank with USB-C Power Delivery (25W), PowerCore 1...

Intel i7-7700K, 32GB RAM - nVidia GTX 1070 Amp Edition 8GB GDDR5. Link Cable.

ohhh so having to zip tie a battery to charge a battery is a reason to keep using an quest 2, like that makes all the other issues wrong with it null and void. The concept of a a battery alone to me is not a selling point. givng people an option of hard wired power or battery would be better, sorry I am not adding extra weight to the head set, I dont want to feel any more un natural that the headset already is. with a hard wired head set there is no need for a battery, less chance of a melting charge port. plus I am not planning on using a VR anywhere except in my game room so why do i need a battery?