cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Come on guys and girls !!!

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As a newish VR noob, I've had the dk2 awhile before selling it to upgrade my pc. How the heck am I supposed to make a uniformed decision on which HMD to buy ? I'm certainly not a fan boy (50) but I know my way around pc's.
I came to this forum to found out about the CV1 and what to expect. I see threads on this one is better than that one blah blah 😞 how the heck am I supposed to make a decision with all what goes on ? Any sensible devs/gamers with a sensible non guesswork opinion for noobs or do we make our own decisions? I do have a cv1 on order but really cannot make up my mind. Please please please don't make this a nasty thread. And no, I certainly am not a troller or inflamer.

Tony
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

29 REPLIES 29

christopherbarn
Adventurer
"zork2001" wrote:
^^^ fanboy

Pot calling kettle black - hilarious ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, I know what it means. Go educate yourself about the Rift. This has been on many threads here.

Syrellaris
Rising Star
"zork2001" wrote:
^^^ fanboy
Do you people even know what room scale means? It does not mean just standing up and maybe moving a half a step to your left and right.

Roomscale means the device can track your movements through a set area. The vive does this out of the box because it ships with the controllers and an additional lighthouse station. With a max of 15x15.

The Rift, can do the same thing once Touch is released with a max of 15x7.

Seeing as most people do not have such large spaces available and most people will be using even smaller spaces than that, I guess the Vive, as you said it, does not do Roomscale either.

zork2001
Heroic Explorer
Roomscale means the device can track your movements through a set area. The vive does this out of the box because it ships with the controllers and an additional lighthouse station. With a max of 15x15.

Seeing as most people do not have such large spaces available and most people will be using even smaller spaces than that, I guess the Vive, as you said it, does not do Roomscale either.

Do you not see how there are no games on the Rift- not even any on the horizon that want you to walk around in a space with the Rift on; would you like to take a guess on the reason for that? Because apparently you and everyone else on this form knows better than all the actual developers for the Rift.

Syrellaris
Rising Star
"zork2001" wrote:

Do you not see how there are no games on the Rift- not even any on the horizon that want you to walk around in a space with the Rift on; would you like to take a guess on the reason for that? Because apparently you and everyone else on this form knows better than all the actual developers for the Rift.

Then you might want to do some more research, because there are quite a few in development that will utilize Touch controllers for the rift including there "Roomscale" capabilities. Not to mention that game developers developing games with "Roomscale" capabilities for the Vive, will in most cases adapt it for the Rift in the end as well.

Also, we know this because Palmer has already Demo'd the Touch and it's "Roomscale" Capabilities a few times.

Also, the Vive, will also only be a few steps here and there and Large and long term movement will be substituted by "Teleporting" in quie a few games.

Also, if you are going to be a Vive fanboy, at least do your research. And no, I am not a Rift Fanboy but I have done my research on both the Vive and the Rift, and am Currently not sure which one to get yet.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Techy111" wrote:

Please don't turn this into a Rift verses Vive as that's the last thing I intended with this thread. Is it that hard to get any unbiased opinions or helpful pointers anywhere at the moment ?

Do you realise what you are expecting from people ? Being mature, objectiv and civilised ? Where do you think you are, Dream Land ?

Joke aside, If you already preordered the Rift, you made a safe choice. I don't know yet if it's the best choice, but it's the safest. 😉

charlton_3393
Heroic Explorer
"Atmos73" wrote:
"Mr.Creepy" wrote:
I sense this thread is subtly turning into a Vive vs Rift. How hard is it to be impartial and just state the differences.

I'm a neutral Oculus DK2 and Xbox controller owner waiting for SDK 1.0. 😄

Am I not pointing out the differences?

I'm also in this camp, DK2, XBOne Controller and waiting for the new SDK, which will be 1.3 by the way not 1.0, that came out in december last year 🙂
Specs: - Windows 10 Pro x64 OS - ASRock H87 Performance Motherboard - Intel Core I7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell Processor - Reference Radeon RX 480 GPU - 32GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 RAM

Malkmus1979
Explorer
"zork2001" wrote:

Do you not see how there are no games on the Rift- not even any on the horizon that want you to walk around in a space with the Rift on; =

The Gallery, Thunderbird, Job Simulator, Arizona Sunshine, Fantastic Contraption, Final Approach, and Hover Junkers are all room scale games coming to the Rift and Touch later this year.

Domitjen
Adventurer
"Techy111" wrote:
As a newish VR noob, I've had the dk2 awhile before selling it to upgrade my pc. How the heck am I supposed to make a uniformed decision on which HMD to buy ? I'm certainly not a fan boy (50) but I know my way around pc's.
I came to this forum to found out about the CV1 and what to expect. I see threads on this one is better than that one blah blah 😞 how the heck am I supposed to make a decision with all what goes on ? Any sensible devs/gamers with a sensible non guesswork opinion for noobs or do we make our own decisions? I do have a cv1 on order but really cannot make up my mind. Please please please don't make this a nasty thread. And no, I certainly am not a troller or inflamer.

Tony

This is the most objective review I've ever seen:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... s_vs_psvr/

Techy111
MVP
MVP
That is perfect Dominique, thank you for that , made for some very interesting reading 🙂

Tony
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

jademan
Heroic Explorer
"Techy111" wrote:
I do mostly Sim's like FSX P3D and racing sims.

Tony

As an AV Simmer, definitely do check out FlyInside (https://flyinside-fsx.com/) which enables VR inside FSX P3D in the Oculus Rift. It is truly amazing, and has me in my DK2 more than anything else presently... That, and the VR-enabled racing sims!