cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communication gap between Oculus and Developers

ThomasPasieka
Explorer
Hey there everybody,

I am pretty sure that folks at Oculus have their hands full with developing and sending out dev kits etc and so forth. However, I am really not impressed with their communication skills. Meaning, I'd expect for them to be a bit more involved with their current usergroup - us developers. As it stands I only see one person from Oculus here on the forum actually answering questions. Wouldn't it be time to ramp up staff to help with support/answering developer questions.

Maybe it's just me. Thoughts?

Thomas
8 REPLIES 8

bilago
Honored Guest
I could use a second job.. hint hint 😉
[Obsolete] Oculus Service Manager - https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11395 [Unofficial] VR Game Manager - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12754

Dewm
Honored Guest
I would agree with the OP. While I'm not a Dev*, my understanding is that we are getting the same communications as a lot of the devs, which would be pretty limited and frustrating. Considering this is DEV kit 2, and its still in a pretty infantile state.

*(And I actually did order my Dk2 late so the real devs could get it first)

GrizzNKev
Honored Guest
Very few people actually have DK2s right now, and the majority of them aren't developers. They probably want a more functional SDK and a larger audience before they start turning their attention from internal to external.

GalaxyDollVR
Honored Guest
Which takes me back to the question of if it's worth it to have your software locked to Oculus instead of putting it on Steam, or somewhere, and making more money. Many other headsets, including DIYers, would be willing to pay for a lot of these games. Someone said production costs.

Kyle's is going to be multiplatform: viewtopic.php?t=11413&p=157550
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1172145560/project-torus-multi-platform-vr-game

Not sure how people can lock their software to a company with a lack of communication. If another company beats them to the consumer market, they'll become the next big thing. Regardless of how much better Oculus' HMDs may be. The public won't know any better.

knack
Honored Guest
i see Oculus Team answer devs thread. Here in other engine forums. And not only one.

i think you mean answer the multiple and repetitive question about shipping?

And about problems they are working and the new SDK for fix that well-known problems. When they fix and release the new SDK perhaps they can answerd the doubts with the new SDK.
PD: yes my english its bad i known i5-4570 - Shaphire r9-290, win10-64

mdk
Honored Guest
I also don't really see what the issue is. I see Oculus folk answer dev questions all the time. If I for example go to the Unity 4 integration section of the forums right now I see 3 threads where dev was the last poster (vrdaveb in this case).

ThreeEyes
Explorer
"mdk" wrote:
I also don't really see what the issue is. I see Oculus folk answer dev questions all the time. If I for example go to the Unity 4 integration section of the forums right now I see 3 threads where dev was the last poster (vrdaveb in this case).

Shhhh... You are ruining their argument on how unresponsive Oculus is to "developers"... nod, nod, wink, wink... :lol:

(I think the big question is about shipping though...)
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
If you go to the actual developer sections of the site with a problem other developers can't answer, sometimes you can get an Oculus developer to respond. Also, there are other means of communications developers have than these forums. So I'm not sure what you are complaining about...could you point us at the thread where you are listing a development problem that is being ignored? Maybe we can help you.