cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complete newbie! Who needs help.

thomascasson
Honored Guest

Hello all!

I've got 100mb speeds with BT Fibre broadband but I don't have a powerful computer. My Christmas present this year is going to be a Oculus quest 2 but I need help in what level PC I need to run the thing? 

Sorry for the very basic question im sure it has come up countless times before but PC's change every year and for someone who games's on consoles it has never been easy to get into. 

16 REPLIES 16

Dunk3erl3digt
Honored Guest

I think at least a GTX 980 or something like that and in AMD a RX400 series and a CPU like first/second gen ryzen and skylake or newer intel proccesors. Anyway i had 2700x with 5700xt full amd system and it wasn't good enough in any demanding game until i got a 3070 and things improved a lot . I'd say you will need something like RTX 2000 or 3000 series to run it properly or if you can't you better go full standalone and forget about PCVR

I primarily want to use it with Google Earth, am I right in saying the OC2 cannot run that without PC?

What are the current options for standalone VR?

I think Google Earth is in Oculus quest store so you will have no problems running that without PC

Hello, Google Earth will run perfectly fine without a PC, so you will be fine there. The Quest 2 is going to be our best option for a stand-alone device. You will be able to enjoy the awesome world of VR with no strings attached. To find out more about it, you can visit our website HERE.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Would 100mbps download speeds be fine for google earth and games from the store?

ohgrant
Superstar

If you mean Google earth VR app, No it's not in the Oculus Quest store, I just searched and it's not there. To the best of my knowledge it's a PCVR only app. 

It's not a particularly demanding PCVR app but you will need to meet the minimum requirements here. Good luck 

PS: I see some folks on reddit claiming to have it working mobile, but I'm assuming it's a mod that requires dev mode enabled.  https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/iw7eb8/google_earth_vr_on_quest_2/

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

eek ok - only the community manager said it does 😬

Dunk3erl3digt
Honored Guest

Weird but it is not in the store for me too. I remember looking not long ago and seeing the app there or am I going crazy xD😁

ohgrant
Superstar

I'm thinking you may have confused National Geographic explorer, which is also a great app, with Google Earth. Not sure if the CM did the same or knows something we don't. Would be a wonderful App to have if ever offered on Quest. I love it on PC but I don't think Google has any interest in it since launch. They did a great job with it though. I don't think internet speed will be an issue for you because it takes some time for it to fill in. The longer you stay in one spot the more detailed things get. 

Edit and OT but with Google Earth's GPS app about as good as any I've used, could you imagine what they could do with a navigation VR app tethered to the phone GPS. The person in the passenger seat could become the ultimate navigator and having a blast doing so.  

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.