cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complete newbie! Who needs help.

thomascasson
Honored Guest

Hello all!

I've got 100mb speeds with BT Fibre broadband but I don't have a powerful computer. My Christmas present this year is going to be a Oculus quest 2 but I need help in what level PC I need to run the thing? 

Sorry for the very basic question im sure it has come up countless times before but PC's change every year and for someone who games's on consoles it has never been easy to get into. 

16 REPLIES 16

kojack
MVP
MVP

Google Earth VR has never been on mobile platforms. Google only released a PC version. This would be usable on a Quest if you did have a suitable PC, but not native.

Google never even supported their own Daydream mobile headset, the official Google Earth VR homepage only lists Vive and Rift as supported.

Just a little clarification: there's no such thing as a "Rift 2". There's the Rift-S (a PC only headset) and the Quest 2 (mobile standalone headset, but can connect to a PC via usb cable or wifi). I'm guessing you meant the Quest 2, since the Rift-S was discontinued a while ago. Effectively the Quest 2 turns into a Rift when linked to a PC.

For the internet speed, 100Mbs should be fine. For non multiplayer games that only affects the install time, they should all play the same (even with no internet). Google Earth VR does stream in a fair bit, but that speed should be fine for it.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

thomascasson
Honored Guest

Thank you for all your help with clarifying this. Although it is odd a moderator said it was able to run google earth! I guess I'm left with the options of either tracking down a Rift, Rift S, Oculus Touch but these all require PC's from my understanding? 

Currently watching videos on wander and real world.. seems o-k. 

Yes, original Rift CV1 and Rift-S require a PC, have no internal processing but can access both Oculus and Steam VR titles.  Quest 1 and 2 can also access those titles via link cable, air link, or virtual desktop app. 

The only currently available product is the Quest 2. All others have been discontinued. You can get them on eBay, but with the low cost of the Quest 2...  

If you question how much should you spend, you need something beyond the common desktop that uses the CPU for graphics. To start off with, I think you could get away with any of the gaming machines at new egg.  https://www.newegg.com/Gaming-Desktops/Store/ID-2125620?cm_sp=Tab_Computer-Systems_2-_-VisNav-_-Gami...   Really the more you can afford, the better your experience will likely be

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

Thank you so much for all your help, and also to the other people as again.. this all a new world to me! And it can be very daunting for someone who hasn't used computers for gaming/leisure. 

"Quest 1 and 2 can also access those titles via link cable, air link, or virtual desktop app."

Are you saying Quest 2 can get at google earth if it was connected to a CPU?

ohgrant
Superstar

Glad to help, and yes, you can access Google Earth PC app with either Quest via the link cable or wirelessly via Airlink or Virtual desktop app. 

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

thomascasson
Honored Guest

I feel it's probably best to get the oculus quest 2 to have a play about with apps like wander over Christmas and then at a later date get myself a pc like people have recommended here and then finally run google earth through a cable. 

Thank you all for the help. 

No problem, as a Quest 1 and Quest 2 owner that spends about equal time in mobile and PC titles, I think you're making a great decision.