cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conflicting Performance Message - Oculus Tray Tool

TickTock
Heroic Explorer
I have been struggling a lot recently with spell casting while in a dungeon in OrbusVR (doesn't happen in my player home or even outside the dungeons).  Using the Oculus Tray Tool, I find that it is reporting a solid 90fps but only +/-10% Performance Headroom.  *However* if I look at the Windows Task Manager at the same time it says my CPU is at 35% utilization and my GPU at 70%.  Any suggestions on how I can get better CPU utilization? Memory is around 6G (out of 15.9).

i7-5820 @ 3.3GHz 6 cores, 12 Logical Processors
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
 -Groucho Marx
5 REPLIES 5

TickTock
Heroic Explorer
@ApollyonVR , wold you mind explaining a bit about how the Performance headroom is computed?  My guess is Windows is showing low utilization because my CPUs are in Idle too much.  CPU temp is only 54C which also suggests they really aren't doing much.  I'd like to figure out why.  I have all four DIMMs populated with 4G (1R8 PC4-2133P) each so all DDR channels should be in use.  Anyone have suggestions on what the bottleneck is?
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
 -Groucho Marx

YoLolo69
Trustee
Just a wild guess : In the task manager right click and select "Modify graphic=>Logical cores". 35% is an average value for your 6 physical cores. It could mean the main core used by the game is at 100%, and other ones are lower, meaning your 3,3GHz (or whatever turbo frequency you reach) is not enough. The CPU bounded can't feed your GPU which still have 30% headroom (100-70).

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

Wildt
Consultant
If you're referring to the performance overlay, it's not something implemented in by Apollyon in OTT. It's a feature in the Oculus debug tool, which OTT can conveniently enable for you.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

TickTock
Heroic Explorer

YoLolo69 said:

Just a wild guess : In the task manager right click and select "Modify graphic=>Logical cores". 35% is an average value for your 6 physical cores. It could mean the main core used by the game is at 100%, and other ones are lower, meaning your 3,3GHz (or whatever turbo frequency you reach) is not enough. The CPU bounded can't feed your GPU which still have 30% headroom (100-70).

Thanks.  I did that and confirmed that all the CPUs were relatively similarly loaded.
 -Groucho Marx

TickTock
Heroic Explorer

Wildt said:

If you're referring to the performance overlay, it's not something implemented in by Apollyon in OTT. It's a feature in the Oculus debug tool, which OTT can conveniently enable for you.

Ahh Thanks.  With that knowledge, I was able to find a description here:
https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/dg-hud/

" This is calculated using the CPU and GPU time tracked by the Application Render Timing HUD divided by the native frame time (inverse of refresh rate) of the HMD."

So this, along with the Windows CPU utilizatoin says my CPU is spending all its time on the Oculus but probably waiting for something for a large portion of that time.  Maybe sensor data?  Could this be a USB problem?  The issue manifests itself as glitches in my Oculus Touch movement.
 -Groucho Marx