cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Congratulations facebook for seeing the light!

inovator
Level 12
I recently thought of upgrading to a 3080. It was more of a thought then action. I looked into it and of course you'd have better luck winning the lottery than being able to find one that's not a scalpers price. PC vr is more of a niche market and getting these cards was tough even before the pandemic. Pc vr is being held back further due to the card problem. For many reasons in the past  I felt stand alone with a hybird pc ability was going to be the future. I'm really glad that oculus is making that happen. With a million quest 2s selling the last quarter Of  2020, it's as Mark Zuckerberg said on it's way to becoming mainstream. I have recently played hitman on playstation vr which you can play  1 2 and 3 hitman series and it is incredible being in those worlds. (Wish I can play it on my quest 2) with quest 2 heading mainstream we are likely going to see games and experiences that will make anything we all have played up until now, seem like child's play. Again oculus  congratulations on your hardware decisions. 
33 REPLIES 33

PITTCANNA
Level 12

inovator said:

I recently thought of upgrading to a 3080. It was more of a thought then action. I looked into it and of course you'd have better luck winning the lottery than being able to find one that's not a scalpers price. PC vr is more of a niche market and getting these cards was tough even before the pandemic. Pc vr is being held back further due to the card problem. For many reasons in the past  I felt stand alone with a hybird pc ability was going to be the future. I'm really glad that oculus is making that happen. With a million quest 2s selling the last quarter Of  2020, it's as Mark Zuckerberg said on it's way to becoming mainstream. I have recently played hitman on playstation vr which you can play  1 2 and 3 hitman series and it is incredible being in those worlds. (Wish I can play it on my quest 2) with quest 2 heading mainstream we are likely going to see games and experiences that will make anything we all have played up until now, seem like child's play. Again oculus  congratulations on your hardware decisions. 


try espire 1 
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2228678273856228/?locale=en_US

inovator
Level 12

PITTCANNA said:


inovator said:

I recently thought of upgrading to a 3080. It was more of a thought then action. I looked into it and of course you'd have better luck winning the lottery than being able to find one that's not a scalpers price. PC vr is more of a niche market and getting these cards was tough even before the pandemic. Pc vr is being held back further due to the card problem. For many reasons in the past  I felt stand alone with a hybird pc ability was going to be the future. I'm really glad that oculus is making that happen. With a million quest 2s selling the last quarter Of  2020, it's as Mark Zuckerberg said on it's way to becoming mainstream. I have recently played hitman on playstation vr which you can play  1 2 and 3 hitman series and it is incredible being in those worlds. (Wish I can play it on my quest 2) with quest 2 heading mainstream we are likely going to see games and experiences that will make anything we all have played up until now, seem like child's play. Again oculus  congratulations on your hardware decisions. 


try espire 1 
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2228678273856228/?locale=en_US


I played that one. It was alot of fun.

Zenbane
Level 16
Oculus had this plan from the beginning, going as far back as 2014 (if not earlier).

Carmack talked about this in the 2014 keynote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn8m5d74fk8


They talked about this in every VR Conference thereafter.

So it's not really about Oculus seeing the light. They invented the light and told us it was coming. It just took awhile to get all the tech to work correctly.

inovator
Level 12
Oculus saw the light about many things. In the past and continously until recent history, about many things including seeing the light when it comes to the hybrid we have today. I congratulate Oculus for continuing to get it right especially when it came to dropping a dedicated pc vr in favor of the hybrid. 

Zenbane
Level 16

inovator said:

Oculus saw the light about many things. In the past and continously until recent history, about many things including seeing the light when it comes to the hybrid we have today. I congratulate Oculus for continuing to get it right especially when it came to dropping a dedicated pc vr in favor of the hybrid. 



Oculus hasn't dropped a dedicated PC VR in favor of the Hybrid. Oculus still sells their PCVR Headset, the Rift-S
https://www.oculus.com/rift-s/

Oculus stills supports PCVR. That's what  makes Quest 2 work as a "hybrid." If Oculus were to stop PCVR support, then there would be no hybrid. It would just be, stand-alone.

And that may happen one day, who knows. But it hasn't happened yet.

The phrase "seeing the light" usually means that things were seeing one way first, then another way later. But as facts and history show, Oculus has always worked towards inside out tracking, stand-alone, and hybrid. From the beginning. That's the opposite of seeing the light.

I'm also hesitant to use the phrase "hybrid" with Quest, since it only "streams" PCVR to the headset. It does not take advantage of the native GPU when linked to PCVR. It may be splitting hairs, but there's a difference between a true hybrid vs streaming data to a screen.

inovator
Level 12

Zenbane said:


inovator said:

Oculus saw the light about many things. In the past and continously until recent history, about many things including seeing the light when it comes to the hybrid we have today. I congratulate Oculus for continuing to get it right especially when it came to dropping a dedicated pc vr in favor of the hybrid. 



Oculus hasn't dropped a dedicated PC VR in favor of the Hybrid. Oculus still sells their PCVR Headset, the Rift-S
https://www.oculus.com/rift-s/

Oculus stills supports PCVR. That's what  makes Quest 2 work as a "hybrid." If Oculus were to stop PCVR support, then there would be no hybrid. It would just be, stand-alone.

The phrase "seeing the light" usually means that things were seeing one way first, then another way later. But as facts and history show, Oculus has always worked towards inside out tracking, stand-alone, and hybrid. From the beginning. That's the opposite of seeing the light.

I'm also hesitant to use the phrase "hybrid" with Quest, since it only "streams" PCVR to the headset. It does not take advantage of the native GPU when linked to PCVR. It may be splitting hairs, but there's a difference between a true hybrid vs streaming data to a screen.


I agree with you. Oculus has not dropped PCVR but they are going to discontinue very soon the rift s and they will only have at that time one headset that does it all. Some would call that a hybrid. To me seeing the light is coming to an understanding that I feel oculus and Carmack saw from the beginning. Some people have a gift and see the light immediately and some wake up in seeing years later in my opinion. Pcvr will continue in my opinion to be a tiny part of the ecosystem since I'm sure most have seen the quest has had huge sales in games by comparison.
Hopefully the quest 3 will use native pc maybe in the form of an air link. Or get non native pc so good you can't tell the difference. I can't get myself to use the rift s anymore because the pixels are so noticeable in comparison to the quest 2. 

Zenbane
Level 16
Yep, Oculus and Carmack saw this from the beginning. It just took awhile for the tech to get to where it needs to be. As they worked towards that tech, they released what they could in the meantime. That's typically referred to as: Iterative Development.

Personally, I think that Consumers are the ones who have truly "seen the light." That applies to me as well. I had my doubts about Quest and Stand-Alone, but Oculus continued to prove me wrong.

Other Consumers used to say that PlayStationVR, and ConsoleVR, was going to kill off Oculus and take over Mainstream VR. But that never happened.

Now we've all seeing the light!  😉

inovator
Level 12

Zenbane said:

Yep, Oculus and Carmack saw this from the beginning. It just took awhile for the tech to get to where it needs to be. As they worked towards that tech, they released what they could in the meantime. That's typically referred to as: Iterative Development.

Personally, I think that Consumers are the ones who have truly "seeing the light." That applies to me as well. I had my doubts about Quest and Stand-Alone, but Oculus continued to prove me wrong.

Other Consumers used to say that PlayStationVR, and ConsoleVR, was going to kill off Oculus and take over Mainstream VR. But that never happened.

Now we've all seeing the light!  😉


Excellent points. I never understood at the beginning why Carmack never did pc vr hardware. Of course it makes sense now, me seeing the light.

RedRizla
Level 16

inovator said:

Oculus saw the light about many things. In the past and continously until recent history, about many things including seeing the light when it comes to the hybrid we have today. I congratulate Oculus for continuing to get it right especially when it came to dropping a dedicated pc vr in favor of the hybrid. 



There isn't much point in having a mobile VR headset that connects to a PC, if there aren't many good PC -VR games to come in the future. But looking
at how many Oculus Quest 2 headsets were connected to Steam in the last month, it will hopefully send a message to Oculus and dev houses that people are still interested in PC -VR. Hence the reason to also have a dedicated PC -VR headset for those not intrested in Mobile VR.

Now it's upto devs to create great new PC -VR
titles, or that link to the Pc is just going to be used to play older PC
-VR games and the few up and coming titles that have already been in development for some time.