cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant Rift Stuttering

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I have an ROG STRIX 2080ti, an i7 9700k, Z390 E Gaming motherboard, 32 gigs of RAM, and a bunch of free storage on both my hard drive and my SSD (I built my computer recently). I was playing on my rift a couple days ago and everything was working fine, no issues at all. Got on it today and the rift WILL NOT STOP STUTTERING. Everywhere I look all I see is jittering and stuttering. It's extremely frustrating and very uneasy on the eyes. I want to say that the issue is something involving the December update but that wouldn't explain why it was working fine a couple days ago. I have tried using different HDMI ports and USB ports, no luck. I should also point out that the stuttering doesn't start until about thirty seconds after I put the headset on. I have tried closing all other applications, didn't help. My GPU and CPU temps are good, as are both the CPU usage and VRAM usage. I'm not sure what is causing this issue all of the sudden but it is leaving me with a major headache, both literally and metaphorically. Any help or solutions would be greatly appreciated!
21 REPLIES 21

Techy111
MVP
MVP
And Afterburner is free. Freeman's are usually the best
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer

Techy111 said:

so what?  I don't see how you make the correlation that a typical user who builds a complete Asus setup would even know a software from MSI existed that they could use, let alone would have it installed.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Someone who builds their own should mate, it's one of the best fan curve software apps and great for OSD's I use it all the time. Been building my own since the late 80's obviously Afterburner hasn't been around that long !!!
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer

Techy111 said:

Someone who builds their own should mate, it's one of the best fan curve software apps and great for OSD's I use it all the time. Been building my own since the late 80's obviously Afterburner hasn't been around that long !!!

I don't disagree, while I personally don't use it, I know a big number of people swear by it, however just because you and I who have been building pc's for 40 years are knowlegable with it, that doesn't mean a typical every-day user would be.

It's more likely a cause of the growing issue with the Rift-S that support has acknowledged privately but refuse to publicly that they are investigating and will hopefully be releasing a patch for soon.

I would rather be upfront with someone rather than sending them on a wild goose chase on the off-chance they may be using some software the majority of everyday users have never even heard of.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
It's not a wild goose chase mate, simply thing of making sure it's not running in the background tis all. Some people had success with the option others not.

RattyUK
Trustee

Techy111 said:

so what?  I don't see how you make the correlation that a typical user who builds a complete Asus setup would even know a software from MSI existed that they could use, let alone would have it installed.

I've been using Afterburner virtually since it was released - up until I replaced most of my PC a couple of months ago I'd say that the majority of my gaming PC's had been built using Asus ROG components for motherboard and GPU...
Like @Techy111, I have also been building PC's since the 286 era.

PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I do like a good ROG, all my latest boards have been ROG 🙂

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer

RattyUK said:

Techy111 said:

I've been using Afterburner virtually since it was released - up until I replaced most of my PC a couple of months ago I'd say that the majority of my gaming PC's had been built using Asus ROG components for motherboard and GPU...
Like @Techy111, I have also been building PC's since the 286 era.

So have I but why does that lead you to believe that everyone, down to the everyday user would use it, let alone even know that it existed?

Why wouldn't you instead inform the user that there is a major issue that support is aware of and are working on a fix for?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

why does that lead you to believe that everyone, down to the everyday user would use it, let alone even know that it existed?

Read the first person again. Goodness. This is not an everyday user.

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer
Thank god for all of you that have helped the OP so much instead of just being honest and acknowledging that there is a major issue that support is working on.

But ya, I'm the issue on these forums......