cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumer version Q1 2016

EricV1992
Honored Guest
Just saw this article on IGN http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/05/06/oculus-reveals-when-the-consumer-oculus-rift-will-ship saying that the consumer version will be out in 2016 Q1, and we will be hearing more about it in the coming weeks.

The consumer version of the Oculus Rift is expected to begin shipping in Q1 2016, with pre-orders opening “later this year,” Oculus VR announced today.

The company will share more details of its hardware, software, input and unannounced speciality games in the coming weeks, beginning with its technical specifications next week.

*EDIT*
ITS OFFICIAL!!!
https://www.oculus.com/blog/first-look-at-the-rift-shipping-q1-2016/

Can't wait to see the official specs of the Rift!
44 REPLIES 44

RonsonPL
Heroic Explorer
"tzuvela" wrote:
Good news!
Any predictions on the screen(s) resolution?

Hints:
- CB is probably lower than 1440p.
- Carmack just said there will be no VR HMD in 2016 with more than 1440p.

My guess is 1440p or lower, then.
Besides, it's two screens, not one, so it won't exactly be 2x 1280x1440.

I just though about this:
CV1 release = mostly Crescent Bay hardware. This means it will be 15-18 months old technology by the time it debuts!
Let me be first to predict this then:
CV2 = higher res screen in Q1 2017 ?

I mean, 2,5 years (CB->Q1 2017) MUST bring significant improvements, doesn't it?
Not an Oculus hater, but not a fan anymore. Still lots of respect for the team-Carmack, Abrash. Oculus is driven by big corporation principles now. That brings painful effects already, more to come in the future. This is not the Oculus I once cheered for.

Diorama
Honored Guest
Where is everyone getting the idea that the CV1 is just a Crescent Bay?

Have seen this posted 3 or 4 times now on the forum, haven't seen any indication from Oculus that this is the case.

Welby
Adventurer
"Diorama" wrote:
Where is everyone getting the idea that the CV1 is just a Crescent Bay?

Have seen this posted 3 or 4 times now on the forum, haven't seen any indication from Oculus that this is the case.

I guess just just due to that "The Oculus Rift builds on the presence, immersion, and comfort of the Crescent Bay prototype with an improved tracking system that supports both seated and standing experiences, as well as a highly refined industrial design, and updated ergonomics for a more natural fit."

That of course means nothing..

However also looking at the design i'm not expecting something COMPLETELY different from the Crescent bay and that's pretty obvius.. or what role had the CB as prototype..

I think the CV1 will has improved screens from the CB,looking at the materials that the CV1 is using it's clearly sensibly lighter,much comfortable,improved tracking could means a lot of things.. The CB already has 360° tracking so that could means not only LOWER latency but also something even cooler (don't know what could be though).

However what's really interesting here is the "seated and STANDING experiences" that could means they've changed/added somethings to make the standing experience more possible.. and another interesting thing is that they're gonna talk about inputs ad E3.. so i'm expecting some cool input for the CV1 too.

Malkmus1979
Explorer
Palmer said today that the tracking has improved since CB.

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
"welby" wrote:

I guess just just due to that "The Oculus Rift builds on the presence, immersion, and comfort of the Crescent Bay prototype with an improved tracking system that supports both seated and standing experiences, as well as a highly refined industrial design, and updated ergonomics for a more natural fit."

I hope the building on presence and immersion means it has a better resolution and PPI.
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified