cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could the Next Quest be CHEAP!

kevinw729
Level 15
I wanted to move this out of the other discussion.
But the leak that the next Quest may be cheaper opens up some interesting possibilities:

qg87hr318is8.png

Along with the obvious push towards getting more people into VR (that Billion Users bet was aimed for next year). There is the possibility that this Cheaper Quest could be used as a means to defend the assimilation of Oculus, Facebook saying "...look we take 30% out of each Oculus sale, but now with it fully part of our operation and including the Facebook ID, we can off set the price and make it cheap for everyone..hey...hey!)

What do you think - and would a cheap Quest, plicate your ire over the mandatory ID? 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
20 REPLIES 20

RedRizla
Level 16
I think it depends on what's inside the Oculus Quest. For a start, if it's not Oled panels and it's LCD, then we all know LCD is much cheaper than Oled. I won't be signing up for a Facebook account though even if it makes it cheaper.

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I'm trying hard to keep my hype in check. I NEED to know the specs! If half of the rumoured features are real, Facebook will have an insurmountable advantage in standalone VR, and if they've improved on Link (including the wireless feature that has been indicated by people snooping through the code), then this could be a fantastic PCVR headset as well.

There are a bunch of new features that people have found hidden in the v20 release--passthrough physical keyboard mapping (which is only useful for PCVR), couch mapping in Guardian, official extended battery add-on support, and more.

The reveal at Facebook Connect is going to be very interesting indeed.

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, 3x Samsung Evo 1TB | Startech PCIe 4x USB 3.0 | Startech PCIe 2x USB C 3.1 gen2

snowdog
Level 16
Told you all so. The Rift S will also get a price cut of the same amount.

Remember, the snowdog is right 99.9% of the time. ???
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

RedRizla
Level 16

snowdog said:

So if the Rift S drops in price does that mean they are about to announce their next PC -VR headset then. I mean, if the Rift S is going to be cheaper it should make way for a more expensive offering should it not.

I'm also wondering if future Facebook native PC -VR headsets will require a Facebook account, or if it's just the Oculus Quests.

snowdog
Level 16

RedRizla said:

snowdog said:

So if the Rift S drops in price does that mean they about to announce their next PC -VR headset then. I mean, if the Rift S is going to be cheaper it should make way for a more expensive offering should it not.

We'll see it being released either next year or 2022, my money would be on next year. And it'll be $399 I think. And the Quest 2 will be the same price when it eventually releases.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

kevinw729
Level 15

snowdog said:

We'll see it being released either next year or 2022, my money would be on next year. And it'll be $399 I think. And the Quest 2 will be the same price when it eventually releases.

Way what!

Your prediction has changed again - your no e'fing "Mystic Meg" are you @snowdog!

No $399 CV1
No 2m sales of CV1
No CV2
No Collapse of HTC
No Samsung GearVR2
No XBone VR version
No announcement of Half Dome 4

Wow - if that's a 99.9% prediction rate, you must work for the National Lottery. 😉

I think someone is going to be disappointed during the one day of Oculus Facebook Connect !

Tick Tock my Ass 🙂

Edit - Sorry mate could not resist!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Nekto2
Level 8

RedRizla said:

I'm also wondering if future Facebook native PC -VR headsets will require a Facebook account, or if it's just the Oculus Quests.

Both probably.
But will you be able to run anything from Unknown origin without any login? I hope it will work.
Or FB could tell you "users vote with their money for FB account" while those without FB have stoped buying on OC store 😄

Mradr
Level 13
I already did a break down in another thread but my predictions:
1) New SoC (the next one up). This is the reason why it wont be 199$, but also why it will be much better for Link2
2) New Link speeds that will make it much harder to tell the difference if this is a mobile headset or a PC headset.
3) Base around Quest 1, but they will remove many features in terms of:
-- Not using OLED and moving to LCD
-- Not using duel screens but a single large screen
-- Removing IDP adjustment - instead - they will have a new method to move the cups around instead. Cheap - works for more users - and a really simple design -> Though - as we was talking with nalex it might be possible for them to go a single display per cup section still as LCD cost a lot less thus they might be able to keep the same method but move the single "eye cup module".
-- Simple design - less cost - more use of space
-- The same resolution or only sightly better in number - in visual it will look a lot sharper as it will have more sub pixels than what OLED can provide.
4) This one depends on if they are going dual screens still - but I assume they wont be going dual screens and going to a single screen like we been seeing with GO and Rift S as its cheaper and comes with less risk - so we should see higher HFOV numbers for small IDP and lower FOV for larger IDP.
5) For force FB account is not to lower the customer price - and a different issue/reason behind that.
6) This will be what is replacing "GO" as the default unit - there will still be another "Quest 2" coming out a year or so that will have higher specs maybe dub the "pro" version.
7) They will be getting new controllers that are a bit more touch - but should over all track better and thus work across more games and use cases.
😎 Better software improves and a little more over clocking on the GPU, but still only around 30-50% improve in the GPU section because of the new SoC.

Main stream VR users will love this - hands down a lot better and with the improve SoC devs will have a little more freedom going forward. It still wont match what a PC can do on the mobile half - but over all like Quest 1 still be able to keep up with some new title ideas.

Along with the obvious push towards getting more people into VR (that Billion Users bet was aimed for next year). There is the possibility that this Cheaper Quest could be used as a means to defend the assimilation of Oculus, Facebook saying "...look we take 30% out of each Oculus sale, but now with it fully part of our operation and including the Facebook ID, we can off set the price and make it cheap for everyone..hey...hey!)
What do you think - and would a cheap Quest, plicate your ire over the mandatory ID? 

I have a good feeling they will try it - but the answer is in the strap - they are getting it at a lower cost because they make the production of the headset over all cheaper xD If they try - I would feel really .... disgusted by this action. If anything, and they are, the price should be 100$ to 50$ cheaper. - IF they say it like that - I would more then likely stop buying Oculus/FB stuff. That be such a low blow to both what Oculus started as and what FB is going to turn it into being I wouldn't want to support a company like that period.

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

RedRizla said:

"All future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if you already have an Oculus account."

From the blog post announcing the changes.

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, 3x Samsung Evo 1TB | Startech PCIe 4x USB 3.0 | Startech PCIe 2x USB C 3.1 gen2