cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DK2 Installation Help! the "OculusVR Windows Installer"

SnazzyD
Honored Guest
I must be missing something - surely it can't be this confusing to simply install the necessary software for a new DK2 setup.
The official Oculus VR instructions at https://support.oculus.com/hc/en-us/articles/202741283-Getting-Started-with-your-new-Oculus-Rift-Dev... read:

Step 1 - Install SDK and Runtime Software - Located here (I got these latest files for 0.4.4)

Install Runtime (done)
    Run OculusVR Windows Installer. What exactly is this file, and where would it be? I can't find anything like it.
    Run the newly installed shortcut “Oculus Service”
    Right click “Oculus Manager” on the system tray, and select “Oculus Configuration Utility” (Match eye relief settings, set profile information, etc.)
    Choose “Show Demo Scene” and ensure you’re positioned correctly.

The last two steps require the hardware to be setup, and yet they are in "Step 1" when the next paragraph is "Step 2 - Setup the Headset". Does anyone proof-read this stuff? Grrrrr.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am stuck setting this up at this early stage simply because I can find nothing at all like this. Does this "OculusVR Windows Installer" refer to the SDK file?

All I've done so far is:

1. Download oculus_runtime_rev_1_sdk_0.4.4_win
2. Download ovr_sdk_win_0.4.4.zip
3. Run the oculus_runtime_rev_1_sdk_0.4.4_win file
4. Unzip the ovr_sdk_win_0.4.4.zip file
5. Curse at my computer....then come here to ask for help...

Company's coming over in a few hours and I wanted to demo some VR experiences for them!! What am I missing?! :oops:
3 REPLIES 3

cybereality
Grand Champion
The installer is the exe file for the runtime ("oculus_runtime_rev_1_sdk_0.4.4_win.exe").
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

SnazzyD
Honored Guest
Thanks for the quick reply, Cyber. Always read your posts on reddit/r/oculus 😉

With respect to the documentaiton, am I wrong in thinking there shouldn't be two line item steps for what amounts to the same thing then?

Step 1 - Install SDK and Runtime Software - Located here

Install Runtime
Run OculusVR Windows Installer.

...if running/installing the runtime file = running the "OculusVR Windows Installer" (the other problem here being the capitalization of the words which suggests this refers to a specific file.

That and the the other parts of Step 1 that require the Rift to be setup already (when that's covered in Step 2 which comes next). I'm a KM person so forgive the unsolicited feedback 8-)

cybereality
Grand Champion
OK, I edited those 2 steps into one to avoid confusion.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV