cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DK2 Killed a PC?

natzVR
Honored Guest
http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2eb0jz/dk2_killed_my_pc/

still waiting for my rift. but reading something like this..makes me nervous. :?
16 REPLIES 16

Ascendor81
Honored Guest
It connects to PC via a USB port and to the video card via a HDMI port. I actually plugged in the AC adapter just to make sure the juice is always flowing. My DK2 stays plugged into the PC 24/7, I had to reboot PC once, after leaving DK2 off overnight, it wouldn't power until i rebooted (the unit would power up, but the display was black). Never had any power issues otherwise. I disabled PC control over the power to my USB ports via device manager too.

baloniman
Honored Guest
I shorted out a usb and it fried my motherboard. So it is possible.

Semicidal
Honored Guest
I won't say this is impossible, but I do think it is HIGHLY unlikely.

Nisch
Honored Guest
It's possible, but it's not going to be the norm. My guess is that there was something wrong with that DK2. Product defects occur. An excessive current draw should not be an issue as the USB ports are current limiting, but certainly a short can cause some issues.

I wouldn't take this as ANYTHING to worry about.

cybereality
Grand Champion
If true, this is a sad story but I don't think it is common or very likely to happen for most people.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
Certainly nothing to worry about. It's possible that the USB ports were defective, or that the Rift itself was defective. I would lean more towards the former. I work with computer hardware for a living, and I can't tell you how many times I've seen seemingly fully functional computers running on what I could call ruined capacitors, or on other various wrecked hardware. It's not too far fetched to believe the user of that now broken computer simply pushed a breaking PC over the edge.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Maybe there went something wrong with the usb plug, being mounted upside down or something...

"jngdwe" wrote:
Certainly nothing to worry about. It's possible that the USB ports were defective, or that the Rift itself was defective. I would lean more towards the former. I work with computer hardware for a living, and I can't tell you how many times I've seen seemingly fully functional computers running on what I could call ruined capacitors, or on other various wrecked hardware. It's not too far fetched to believe the user of that now broken computer simply pushed a breaking PC over the edge.

So you think 2 laptops and one pc die, or at least the usb died, when he plugged in the dk2 - because they all had already a hardware problem? 😄

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Phil2003" wrote:
Maybe there went something wrong with the usb plug, being mounted upside down or something...

"jngdwe" wrote:

So you think 2 laptops and one pc die, or at least the usb died, when he plugged in the dk2 - because they all had already a hardware problem? 😄

I didn't read his post, to be honest. I'm just stating that it was likely a problem with either device, rather than a problem with a normal DK2. It's also possible that the guy was lying to shame the DK2; Kotaku shows us that some people just hate the Rift for no good reason.

opamp
Protege
A short-circuit at the rift end shouldnt have cause this,
The USB standard requires that all USB powered devices have over-current protection, usually in the form of a polyfuse.

Odss are the pc host side has failed and somehow chucked a bike voltage spike down one of the two data pins.

*edit

I didnt read his post properly. looks like the rift its self is probably ok.
DK2. Phenom 2 x4 4.2GHz,Asrock Extreme 3 970,8GB DDR3 1600, R9 270x 1180/1400.