cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DK2 low brightness

robvld
Explorer
How do i turn up the brightness of my DK2?
7 REPLIES 7

cybereality
Grand Champion
There are not hardware brightness buttons with the DK2, but you may be able to do this in the GPU control panel.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

gutang
Protege
I think the lack of brightness is caused by being able to see so much of the black space between pixels (screen door effect) due to it being so magnified and not anything to do with the screen itself.

tamonte
Honored Guest
The lack of brightness in DK2 is mostly due to the low persistance at 75Hz.
If you play without low persistance it is a lot brighter, but you get motion blur.

In CV1, assuming it will be at 90Hz, should mean it will look brighter, because the pixels will be more frequently lit.

clone
Explorer
"tamonte" wrote:
The lack of brightness in DK2 is mostly due to the low persistance at 75Hz.
If you play without low persistance it is a lot brighter, but you get motion blur.

In CV1, assuming it will be at 90Hz, should mean it will look brighter, because the pixels will be more frequently lit.

aehm where is the logic here?

no low persistance = 60 Hz -> bright
low persistance = 75 Hz -> not bright
and CV1 = 90 Hz -> bright

now you confused me :?
...why so serious?

robvld
Explorer
"cybereality" wrote:
There are not hardware brightness buttons with the DK2, but you may be able to do this in the GPU control panel.

I know its not your fault, and i do appreciate the suggestion... which is acceptable for developing... however from a consumers perspective this would be a serious issue... it would also defy the awesomesauce of oleds blacklevels...

atleast for me this is an issue... i dont see any shared opinions on the matter anywhere else on this forum...

Obvious question perhaps, but is this being looked into?

tamonte
Honored Guest
"clone" wrote:

aehm where is the logic here?

no low persistence = 60 Hz -> bright
low persistance = 75 Hz -> not bright
and CV1 = 90 Hz -> bright

now you confused me :?

I'll explain 😉

Without low persistence the pixels are allways lit on, so it doesnt matter the Hz it will allways have the same brightness.

With low persistence the pixels turn on and off very quickly, so imagine it was with low persistence at 1Hz, It would be black most the time, blinking only one time per second. So the more Hz the brighter the image appears (assuming the time the pixels are on is the same).

Hope i cleared things up. 🙂

sotti
Protege
speeding it up to 90hz, may or may not make it brighter, it might even make it dimmer.

OTOH we know that these OLED screens can get A LOT brighter, Oculus just needs to expose a backlight slider.