cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DK2 oops

Invoke
Honored Guest
To all:
I see now that my initial reaction to the news was way too strong and I apologize for throwing it out there without some more research into the subject, I think my sleep deprivation is getting to me.

Part of what fired me up is that I read somewhere that it would include positional tracking, which would be a big deal for me when I thought that there would be no DK2.

I understand the heavy responses and reading your viewpoints greatly changes my view on the issue, thank you.

I'd love to delete the topic but I can't :oops: , guess that's penance.

I couldn't believe the news at first.. a Devkit 2 will be released to the public.

Before I ordered my devkit I made sure to read up on everything including the official statement that there wouldn't be a DK2 and now this happens.. I feel screwed over as a small developer. Do I really have to invest in a second devkit to keep up with others?. 😐 I don't have money growing on my back.

I'm hoping for a big discount for people who already received a DK1 with the premise of a DK2 not being brought into existance.

Otherwise, I want a full refund or upgrade to DK2. Is this fair to ask? well it might not be, but lying to your customers isn't either.
Programmer - No need for alcohol anymore, I'm drunk on VR. Now where's that bucket.. ~ Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
43 REPLIES 43

renderingpipeli
Honored Guest
"mstdesigns" wrote:
I agree, DK2 should cost 1000$

Oculus gets profit from it
Real developers get it faster
Consumers wait for the commercial rift

There's no harm in consumers getting a dev kit other than some devs have to wait a week longer and some ridiculous posts in the forum. Lots of hobbyists and indie devs won't be able to pay so much for a dev kit but those were the guys believing in the Rift in the first place during the Kickstarter. No need for a discount, but also no need for ridiculous high prices.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I honestly think it's a bit ridiculous to kick up a fuss and make out that Oculus OWES you something like a cheap upgrade to the new dev kit or a full refund on your current dev kit. Why?

When you buy a new graphics card, and the new generation comes out a few months later, you can't whine and demand that AMD/nVidia gives you a full refund or a cheap upgrade to the newest stuff. Why would they? This is the same as ANYTHING you buy in life pretty much. You got what you paid for...

I'm completely baffled at this sense of entitlement some people seem to have. I don't see how you're getting screwed over at all. It's the same with all tech stuff.

"Invoke" wrote:
I couldn't believe the news at first.. a Devkit 2 will be released to the public.

Before I ordered my devkit I made sure to read up on everything including the official statement that there wouldn't be a DK2 and now this happens.. I feel screwed over as a small developer. Do I really have to invest in a second devkit to keep up with others?. 😐 I don't have money growing on my back.

You couldn't believe it? Believe what? That the rift is making a small advancement prior to the release of the consumer model? God forbid!

You're not screwed over at all. You don't need to invest in anything at all to "keep up". The DK1 will still be completely fine for developing. Which is what it's for. If you want the higher res or whatever other features get added to the DK2, that's entirely your choice and absolutely not a requirement to develop for the Rift.

"Invoke" wrote:
I'm hoping for a big discount for people who already received a DK1 with the premise of a DK2 not being brought into existance.

Otherwise, I want a full refund or upgrade to DK2. Is this fair to ask? well it might not be, but lying to your customers isn't either.

No. That's not fair to ask. I could understand your position if the DK2 was a huge departure from the DK1 that made the DK1 useless for developing and all current DK1 content was completely incompatible with the DK2 and the Consumer rift. But that's not the case at all.

mstdesigns
Honored Guest
"renderingpipeline" wrote:
"mstdesigns" wrote:
I agree, DK2 should cost 1000$

Oculus gets profit from it
Real developers get it faster
Consumers wait for the commercial rift

There's no harm in consumers getting a dev kit other than some devs have to wait a week longer and some ridiculous posts in the forum. Lots of hobbyists and indie devs won't be able to pay so much for a dev kit but those were the guys believing in the Rift in the first place during the Kickstarter. No need for a discount, but also no need for ridiculous high prices.

I am a graphic designer and 3D artist. Though I do plan to make some VR projects in the future, I could have waited for the consumer one and had no need to order the devkit. I ordered it because I wanted the VR experience firsthand so I dealt with the low resolution that could be provided at that time. I think actual developers should get their hands on it firsthand and that 1000$ are not too much to ask for a devkit. We pay thousands of dollars for proprietary software that is nowhere near worth that price. Seriously 1000$ are not too much to ask.

Invoke
Honored Guest
To all:
I see now that my initial reaction to the news was way too strong and I apologize for throwing it out there without some more research into the subject, I think my sleep deprivation is getting to me.

Part of what fired me up is that I read somewhere that it would include positional tracking, which would be a big deal for me when I thought that there would be no DK2.

I understand the heavy responses and reading your viewpoints greatly changes my view on the issue, thank you.

Programmer - No need for alcohol anymore, I'm drunk on VR. Now where's that bucket.. ~ Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

mstdesigns
Honored Guest
"Invoke" wrote:
To all:

Just think that by the time you would get the DK2 shipped, the commercial one would be just a few months away. You just need some patience, we all need 😉

June
Honored Guest
I haven't even received my DK1 yet, but am in no way annoyed or threatened by the news of a possible DK2. I will receive what I paid for, and get to use it. If there is a DK2, and I decide I like/want/need it, I'll get that one. That's just how technology in general, and especially development (or early adopting) works.

I will not be entitled to a refund - the purchase will be fulfilled when I get my DK1.
I will not be entitled to a discount - if they choose to give existing DK1 owners a discount, that will be their decision/gift, nothing we can demand.

Such is life.

genetransfer
Explorer
@Invoke don't worry about it, good to see what everyone thinks of it anyway.

@everyone else saying it should be $1000++ just so we can get it quicker, I'm sure that the production pipeline will have ramped up by then and dev kits will move out faster (well I hope so lol). besides oculus is all about low prices and letting the masses have it, after all nothing smooths out a product faster than a tonne of testers and will bring in more profit than a handful of devs who are in a situation to drop that much on it.

Invoke
Honored Guest
"unity2k" wrote:
"vin" wrote:
Posting in another "I don't understand what developer means" thread.

Love how you said in six words what it took me a couple hundred.

ouch 🙂 , I deserved it for this though.

unity2k
Honored Guest
"Invoke" wrote:
"unity2k" wrote:
"vin" wrote:
Posting in another "I don't understand what developer means" thread.

Love how you said in six words what it took me a couple hundred.

ouch 🙂 , I deserved it for this though.

@Invoke, Yours is the greatest of all responses of people who at some point "didn't get it." You really help restore my faith that people can learn from their minor blunders. Too often we entrench ourselves further behind "unreasonable" opinions and the flame wars ensue. There are a few others in these forums who could learn from your quick turn around. Thanks for owning that.

robvld
Explorer
"Invoke" wrote:
To all:
I see now that my initial reaction to the news was way too strong and I apologize for throwing it out there without some more research into the subject

I dont see why you should appologize... i agree with what you said...

"unity2k" wrote:
and i think you're an idiot(and others in this thread i am not gonna waste my time on to look up their names)... there is little to no interaction with the developers/DK-consumers... they bring this understandable critism down uppon themselves...

User was warned for this post by cybereality.
Insulting other members is against the rules.