cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DK2 oops

Invoke
Honored Guest
To all:
I see now that my initial reaction to the news was way too strong and I apologize for throwing it out there without some more research into the subject, I think my sleep deprivation is getting to me.

Part of what fired me up is that I read somewhere that it would include positional tracking, which would be a big deal for me when I thought that there would be no DK2.

I understand the heavy responses and reading your viewpoints greatly changes my view on the issue, thank you.

I'd love to delete the topic but I can't :oops: , guess that's penance.

I couldn't believe the news at first.. a Devkit 2 will be released to the public.

Before I ordered my devkit I made sure to read up on everything including the official statement that there wouldn't be a DK2 and now this happens.. I feel screwed over as a small developer. Do I really have to invest in a second devkit to keep up with others?. 😐 I don't have money growing on my back.

I'm hoping for a big discount for people who already received a DK1 with the premise of a DK2 not being brought into existance.

Otherwise, I want a full refund or upgrade to DK2. Is this fair to ask? well it might not be, but lying to your customers isn't either.
Programmer - No need for alcohol anymore, I'm drunk on VR. Now where's that bucket.. ~ Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
43 REPLIES 43

FALSE
Honored Guest
"Cyph3r" wrote:
I honestly think it's a bit ridiculous to kick up a fuss and make out that Oculus OWES you something like a cheap upgrade to the new dev kit or a full refund on your current dev kit. Why?

When you buy a new graphics card, and the new generation comes out a few months later, you can't whine and demand that AMD/nVidia gives you a full refund or a cheap upgrade to the newest stuff. Why would they? This is the same as ANYTHING you buy in life pretty much. You got what you paid for...

Would AMD or nvidia say that they were not going to release another card?
If they released a graphics card 80000 and stated they were not going to release another card, but then they came out and said they were gonna release graphics card 90000, people would be upset.

I can understand why people would be upset after hearing "there will be no dev kit 2" so I dont think the OP should have gotten so much hate. We all love the Oculus and VR, but we dont have to be so far up their rears that we pull out the pitchforks when someone so much as questions a move on Oculus's part.

pho
Explorer
Do you really think they are releasing a DK2 to piss people off and/or milk people's wallets?
Or could the reason simply be that from a developer standpoint, releasing an updated DK, closer to the eventual retail-specs simply makes sense?

As a consumer, you would be correct in some respects, however it's been made ABUNDANTLY clear from the kickstarter all the way up to this point in time that what you are buying is for development and testing purposes, and not for mainstream users. I think any developer that is serious about his engagement to the Rift would have bought the DK even if they knew that a DK2 with updated specs would also be available 6 months down the line.

Disclaimer; I ordered one last week. I don't feel screwed over, nor will I try to cancel my order.

Invoke
Honored Guest
I think we should stop this discussion before it gets out of hand.
Programmer - No need for alcohol anymore, I'm drunk on VR. Now where's that bucket.. ~ Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

vannagirl
Consultant
Soooo

The rumours are true,

Guys also can have a time of the month :lol:
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have kinda experienced this a few years ago when I bought a gtx460 only to find out 2 days later that nVidia had gone and released the 500 series of vid cards. Not much I could do about it, it's just the way things go with tech these days.

Essentially what I'm saying here is that either you wait for the latest tech to arrive before purchasing or get what's availiable at the time, either way you're never going to be able to catch up.

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
"FALSe" wrote:

Would AMD or nvidia say that they were not going to release another card?
If they released a graphics card 80000 and stated they were not going to release another card, but then they came out and said they were gonna release graphics card 90000, people would be upset.

Big corporations lie all the time about things like that - Nintendo has responded to questions that they had no plans to release something, only to surprise everyone with it a few months later. And more commonly,they change their minds. My thinking is, that's what happened here, they changed their minds - the company made that statement, then they hired a new Chief Technical Officer who set them straight. John Carmack would have the experience to know that developers need to test their games and apps on fully-functional hardware to make sure end-users have the best experience out of the gate.

FALSE
Honored Guest
Corporations lying is kinda my point. You're right, they do lie all the time and its understandable some people will be upset over it. Be it Nintendo, Microsoft, Oculus, or your buddy Joe, when they lie to you it makes you upset.

I'm mostly playing devils advocate here, but Oculus did state that there would be no dev kit 2 and now they've changed that. I totally get why some people are pissed. It may be the right move to release a DK2 (I'm no one to question Mr. Carmack's guidance) but it doesn't change the fact that some people are gonna be upset.

The bashing on the OP in this thread was totally out of line IMO and kind of why I posted in the first place...
And the fact that I'm DYING to get get my DK1!

zohan
Honored Guest
If oculus rift team will make it possible for us to buy a mod kit to make us able to upgrade our current dev kit's
that will be great 😄

think about it a kit to make our kits higher resolution and improved tracking :DDD

Thanks

KrixusParabellu
Explorer
"unity2k" wrote:
This has ALWAYS been about a device for devs, not consumers. In no way are you being cheated, unless you are a consumer who didn't want to pay attention to what Oculus has been saying loud and clear

I'm not a dev, just a hardcore gamer and I bought the Rift full knowing it wasn't intended for me. But even as a non dev I had an awesome experience with it, now more than ever since we have all these solutions to make great games work in it. All it needs is a little config, something that *had* to be expected unless one didn't read a single thing the oculus team ever said, I don't get how people can be pissed off at such an incredible product.
This is a peek into the future sold at a super low price, how people can feel cheated about this is beyond me

DannySwish
Honored Guest
On top of everything else, if I'm correct, Oculus never said anything like "We will definitely not have a DK2." From what I recall, they said that there were no current plans to release a DK2. Now there are, and they're giving fair warning if it's going to release later next year.
Intel i7 4770k | GTX 980