cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DK2 oops

Invoke
Level 2
To all:
I see now that my initial reaction to the news was way too strong and I apologize for throwing it out there without some more research into the subject, I think my sleep deprivation is getting to me.

Part of what fired me up is that I read somewhere that it would include positional tracking, which would be a big deal for me when I thought that there would be no DK2.

I understand the heavy responses and reading your viewpoints greatly changes my view on the issue, thank you.

I'd love to delete the topic but I can't :oops: , guess that's penance.

I couldn't believe the news at first.. a Devkit 2 will be released to the public.

Before I ordered my devkit I made sure to read up on everything including the official statement that there wouldn't be a DK2 and now this happens.. I feel screwed over as a small developer. Do I really have to invest in a second devkit to keep up with others?. ๐Ÿ˜ I don't have money growing on my back.

I'm hoping for a big discount for people who already received a DK1 with the premise of a DK2 not being brought into existance.

Otherwise, I want a full refund or upgrade to DK2. Is this fair to ask? well it might not be, but lying to your customers isn't either.
Programmer - No need for alcohol anymore, I'm drunk on VR. Now where's that bucket.. ~ Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
43 REPLIES 43

D3vinno
Level 2
So if DK2 is simply an 1080p screen upgrade you would request that everyone has the right to get cheap upgrades, even though it is still the same to develop to one and the other?

I would agree if the DK2 has new features like positional tracking or cameras or ... that they would do a great service to developers to offer the DK2 at a reduced price to people who already have a DK1, but I would not say they screwed anyone over even if they do not.

I'd say wait and see what Oculus does, and what the new DK2 contains before coming to any conclusions. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

unity2k
Level 2
"Invoke" wrote:
I couldn't believe the news at first.. a Devkit 2 will be released to the public.

Before I ordered my devkit I made sure to read up on everything including the official statement that there wouldn't be a DK2 and now this happens.. I feel screwed over as a small developer. Do I really have to invest in a second devkit to keep up with others?. ๐Ÿ˜ I don't have money growing on my back.

As has been pointed out in other threads had you taken the moment to investigate (you claim to be thorough in that area) you would read how others have pointed out, you can sell your current Devkit 1 for what you paid for it and get the new one. Or, you may have read that if the product you are developing is not going to have to coincide with the release of the commercial version of the Rift, just wait until it is out before you buy another Rift.

More importantly, how do you feel screwed over? This has ALWAYS been about a device for devs, not consumers, and as such you have a device now that lets you evaluate and have a better understanding of the environment you are developing for. In no way are you being cheated, unless you are a consumer who didn't want to pay attention to what Oculus has been saying loud and clear. Listen closely to what Oculus is saying about DK2, it will be released "shortly" before the consumer version but with enough time that developers who are far enough along, can test for specific scenarios that the consumer kit will have as features. Are you really on such a tight dev schedule and fixed financial run that you know precisely that your software will be ready and fully featured between specific dates and that somehow you have inside information of when the consumer Rift will be released and any deviation from those dates will lead to your ruin? Why all the drama?

I guess you know my opinion by now, YES it's unreasonable to expect an upgrade; unless you are 12 years old.

genetransfer
Level 3
unity2k said it all but I already typed this so I'll post any way ๐Ÿ™‚

When I ordered I suspected there would be a DK2 due to them wanting developers to make content for it. And being that the method they appear to have chosen for positional tracking would warrant a second dev kit being it couldn't be done in software alone, for devs who want to build for it with all the features before the consumer version.

I don't feel ripped off and money isn't overflowing out of my pockets. If you can wait for the retail version and are happy adding on the positional tracking then I don't see why you would need DK2. the 2nd SDK will support the current DK1 so at least you'll be able to get the sdk implemented.

who knows when DK2 will be available, not this year that's for sure, so at least you've got something to use while deving for it. I don't see how a discount would be possible as the hardware still cost the same to manufacture and ship, but if they want to give a discount I won't say no :). But it's a dev tool, so I'll pay what I have to pay as I need those features, and there is plenty of time to save up for it.

Vin
Level 3
Posting in another "I don't understand what developer means" thread.

unity2k
Level 2
"vin" wrote:
Posting in another "I don't understand what developer means" thread.

Love how you said in six words what it took me a couple hundred.

mstdesigns
Level 2
You pledged for a 1280x800 devkit and you got one. There's nothing deceitful in that process. The devkit was specifically targeted to developers and not consumers. You bought it at your own risk.

You actually get to obtain cutting edge VR tech before anyone else in the world while paying a very low price for it.

renderingpipeli
Level 2
If "I feel screwed over because I bought some tech and now I learned that in a few month there might be a better tech available" is your normal reaction, maybe the tech-industry is not for you.

mstdesigns
Level 2
I agree, DK2 should cost 1000$

Oculus gets profit from it
Real developers get it faster
Consumers wait for the commercial rift