Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily blog posts chronicling my Rift experiences

MartinCaine
Honored Guest
13 REPLIES 13

Gerald
Expert Protege
You know I am looking forward to Positron, but why have you never mentioned that Vequencer tool to me. I believe that could work really well in combination of LEAP and Rift. 😉

Looking forward to your next blog Martin. 🙂
check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons

usb420
Honored Guest
excellent I'm am following

CosbyTron
Honored Guest
Great write-ups! I'm particularly interested in this bit from your day 3 post:

I'm not sure why this is as the Oculus World demo clearly fills up almost the entire screen when rendering. TF2 and HL2 for example only seem to use about the central 70% of the screen with the top and bottom 15% left black.

In games that use more of the screen area, are you able to back the lenses off a bit (without hitting your eyeballs, of course), and does that help with the screen door effect at all?

MartinCaine
Honored Guest
Thanks 🙂

I don't think the lenses can be adjusted can they (I know they can be swapped out ofcourse but I think once they're in that's it)? I've already got the housing adjusted all the way out and my eye lashes still touch the lenses when I'm blinking!

As far as I'm aware there's nothing you can do about the screen door effect. You are after all only looking at a 1280x800 screen right up next to your eyes. Hopefully the retail kit will include not only a much higher resolution screen but will have better coverage too.

CosbyTron
Honored Guest
Ahh, yep, I was referring to the housing adjustment. That moves the screen relative to the lenses, correct? I thought maybe distancing the screen as much as possible would reduce the magnification a bit, which might lessen the effect. But if you've already got it all the way out, I suppose that's that 🙂

Do games using less screen area have a noticeably reduced field of view when you're wearing the Rift? If not, I guess I can see the logic in not using more of the screen than is necessary, to save rendering parts of the game world that would sit outside your FOV.

MartinCaine
Honored Guest
No, well if you check the shots in Day Four I mentioned how the calibration tool in TF2 clearly shows that you're not seeing the whole screen anyway. What I'm seeing on the monitor for HL2 I suspect is all I can see anyway and that part around the edge is unseen.

Adjusting the housing of the Rift does not move the lenses at all, they're fixed next to the screen, the housing lets you move your eyes away from the lenses (as I said, I have to move it all the way out and my eyelashes still touch the lenses).

The Vireio driver definitely produces slightly funky output though, I suspect it should be using more vertical height (as per the HL2/TF2 views) and there is some really strange warping even in HL2 (stand next to a ladder and look up, it looks like it's bending over your head).

MartinCaine
Honored Guest
Just added Day Five where I play Portal and try using the SHOCT calibration with the Vireio driver (unsuccessfully):

May 16th 2013 - Day Five With The Oculus Rift - SHOCT

MartinCaine
Honored Guest

DokoMaster
Honored Guest
Good stuff!