cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deep thought on the whole Shipgate# for Oculus Launch...

smittah
Expert Protege
To the many who have compiled spreadsheets, and mathematical equations on who will get their orders first, you may have forgot to look at the situation from outside the box.  Yes we have many people who have waited patiently and who are proud of being part of the first wave of pre-orders.  Yes I myself sit in anticipation and checking my phone for that email notice every 2 minutes.  Both Oculus and even Facebook are not necessarily a large merchandise company.  Team Oculus has never dealt with this demand load, not even with the DK1&2.  Yes you might have a warehouse stacked to the rim in a secret location with hundreds of thousands of Oculus CV1 units waiting to be shipped.  The time frame from what I understood was that the process of shipping would start on Wednesday the 28th meaning that unit would have been put in a shipping container, with an invoice, and shipping label.  Unless they launch a fleet of UPS or Fedex trucks to get those units out to every household or business they will have to put them on actual freight delivery trucks to the designated shipping hubs.  Most companies will only start the invoice process the moment the shipping label is created.  So this means that Wednesday could have very well meant they sent the units out with an unmarked freight trucks to be shipped.  This can take 2-3 days for some customers depending on location.  Chances are this warehouse is actually in China.  The emotional toll that has everyone upset is the pinch from too much information.  Indeed a mistake was given by generalizing the expected shipping date. To the lucky few that got 1-3 week notice emails congrats, however that information spread online like a wildfire and it accelerated even quicker when Oculus made their pre-week launch notice.  Even movie production companies know better than to build up too much hype and then launch.  Some movies do build up too much hype, but if you don't live up to those expectations you just signed your own death notice(Green Lantern).  Did Team Oculus realize how many people would be waiting for the moment for the order gates to open? No.  Were they prepared to meet the demand that was coming? No.  Is it their fault for taunting us for the last few years with delayed promises?  To some degree yes.  Have we the consumers sucked it up and accepted our fate just as we have with all other over-hyped products?  No, and we never will either.  So as this is all said I am probably gonna stop looking at my phone and just wait until a package shows up.  Then I will call in sick to work and vanish from society.  And for anyone's information I placed my order 8min after pre-order launch.
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I couldn't read all/any of that because HOLY FREAKING WALL OF TEXT but...

Can we please... PLEASE not call this ShippingGate? Or RiftGate? Or WhateverthefuckGate?

smittah
Expert Protege
I said Deep Thought in topic. 🙂 

water_
Adventurer
I second not including "gate" in any part of this.

smittah
Expert Protege

water_ said:

Yea that could possibly be ugly if the media ever used it.  CNN would have it in the largest font size possible on their website.

Anonymous
Not applicable

water_ said:

And me. It's almost as bad as 'Brexit'!

Anonymous
Not applicable

smittah said:

I said Deep Thought in topic. 🙂 

Deep Thoughts have paragraphs XD

/heckling

Infinit3
Explorer
Got about 1 sentence in. Noticed how long it was, wrote this post to express my views on the length of your post.

Percy1983
Superstar
I do keep telling people just t get on with life and a box will appear but it seems many of got fixation/obsessed.

I have an April order and know its not coming tomorrow, oh well maybe the day after maybe the 30th, OMG maybe even May!!!!!!

I am just happy I am near the front of the queue and not the back, until the box arrives I will continue with life as normal.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

Jay535
Protege
Oculus messed up shipping just like they did with DK1 and DK2.  What a surprise.