Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did Oculus rip off Valve?

Melmix
Expert Protege

Read this article:

http://uploadvr.com/valve-shared-vr-oculus/

So according to this article, Oculus stole pretty much everything from Valve and are more or less doing everything wrong in regards to having an open VR platform. Does anyone know if this is correct? I must admit after reading the article I started thinking about selling my Rift and buying a Vive instead 😞

Me for the next year... :geek: VR4EVER! :lol:
59 REPLIES 59

VizionVR
Rising Star
The article, man. Stay focused! I'm asking your thoughts on the article. Surely you have thoughts.
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

VizionVR
Rising Star
I'll start.
Hey @Zenbane did you see that bullshit article someone posted on that thread? Crazy, huh? Like Oculus would ever need Valve's input. Amirite?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Sure, I noticed this part in the article:
Valve VR wizard Michael Abrash talked about
the company’s struggle with ‘judder’ - a mix of smearing and strobing
that can notably reduce visual quality in VR displays.

I already knew that the Rift provides "superior visual immersion" over the Vive. Hey wasn't it you that said that phrase was nonsense? Thanks for finding an article that proves me right lol

The title of the article is about applying "insights" yet this discussion leans more towards piracy and plagerism; not quite the same thing. The only "insight" that is borrowed is Oculus' insight in to the fact that the Valve prototype doesn't look so great. Hooray?

VizionVR
Rising Star

Zenbane said:

I recommend you avoid derailing when you say things like:
"Wow, is that what you're doing now? Telling everyone what they should
and shouldn't read? The link is fine, but I'll post the full article
below in case the Poster of the Week scared anyone."

I was speaking only of the website you linked to, not of you personally. Try to stay on topic yourself.

"Superior visual immersion" was literally weeks ago, you should let it go. Try to stay on topic, buddy. You can DO it! 🙂

I know, how about we do a direct comparison of your story against what really happened.

Zenbane said:

Some guys from the Vive team came over to let Palmer use a VR demo App when presenting to Zuckerberg. I assume it was their way of thanking Palmer for sharing his technology. He gives them insight in to the hardware, they give him a fun visual application.

Whoa, you even used the word "insight", weird right? And you weren't even there!

Anyways, below is part of a first hand account that I posted in response to your above post. See I KNOW HOW stay on topic. Pay attention, please.
"At [recent San Francisco event] Gaming Insiders, Brendan talked
about using a new VR prototype at Valve, which combines ultra low
latency, precise head and positional tracking with low-persistence
visuals for one of the most immersive and comfortable experiences ever,”
they went on. 

“We can't share all the details yet, but we're taking the insights
we've learned from that demo and applying them to the development
process to make the consumer Rift even better.”

So this era of VR was a mass collaboration between many many players, just like I said earlier in this thread:
"Contributions were shared freely in the hopes of achieving a unified VR
solution through a single, community supported source (Palmer Luckey's
Kickstarter)".

Now, can we PLEASE get beyond this who-started-what bullshit and kindly move the FUCK forward with VR?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I agree that nothing is proven to be stolen by the article. Great insight lol

VizionVR
Rising Star
That made me lol, man. Good show.

CharlieHobbes
Rising Star
Jeez guys, let's bury the hatchet somewhere other than in each other's chests shall we?

It's not like Oculus stole KFCs secret batter recipe.

If a guy sees a car drive by and realises that round wheels work on cars you don't accuse them of "ripping off" if they then build a car with round wheels. 

It's common sense.

If someone puts a demo headset on you and you notice you get sick to your stomach from judder you're not stealing some kind of industry secret here. 

If two parties choose to share knowledge they do so willingly and they accept the consequences. 
To be honest, I expect both parties benefited from each other in different ways anyway. 

This pissing contest is getting rather old. 

VizionVR
Rising Star

It's not like Oculus stole KFCs secret batter recipe.

Aw hell no. They'd buy the chef and say they invented it. 😉

Seriously though, it was clearly a collaboration from the start. What happened later is where things get a little fuzzy.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
KFC ain't got no chef, their secret recipe is MSG induced thrice cooked mutant bird.

xi11ix
Adventurer
I'm pretty sure at steam dev days a few years ago Valve said they were willing to let anybody use their VR research. Why is this a big deal and why would Oculus reinvent a wheel they didn't have to?