cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disturbing Nausea Association

jwilkins
Level 2
If I watch a Rift video that makes me sick then for hours afterwards looking at any computer generated 3D graphics will make me feel sick again...
(╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻
46 REPLIES 46

Shockbolt
Level 3
"jwilkins" wrote:
If I watch a Rift video that makes me sick then for hours afterwards looking at any computer generated 3D graphics will make me feel sick again...

*neutral*

I get the same feeling, suffering from migraines with visual artifacts from time to times, watching similar visual artifacts on tv etc makes me feel sick.

huttybangbang
Level 2
How long have you been using your Rift for and has it gotten worse, the same or better over a number of iterations?
Oculus Hut - A big fat slice of VR A page I made about surfing the virtual reality web! Janus VR Room 45: janus://zion.vrsites.com/1/45 YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj70pq7hA26fvLv832NmboA A little UE4 experience: Virtual Bard

jwilkins
Level 2
I've had it for just over a month now I guess. I thought I had been getting my "Rift Legs", but maybe I got hit harder by it today because I'm more susceptible to motion sickness when I'm tired. I may just start to outright force myself not to watch videos from now on, no matter how interesting they appear.

What is disturbing is the long lasting association by brain seems to form with 3D graphics. This is Clockwork Orange level stuff (Replace ultra violence with CG :lol:).
(╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻

Teddy0k
Level 3
That's interesting and very scary! When you say rift videos, do you mean like youtube vids of peoples demos?

Do you have a Razer Hydra? If so (when you're feeling better) could you try my demo out?
viewtopic.php?t=1796

It's designed specifically to not cause any motion sickness and increase immersion, and I'm looking for feedback from sufferers.

geekmaster
Level 4
Getting motion sickness in my Rift does make me more susceptible to motion sickness in Real Life for hours afterward (sometimes more than a day) too, triggered by things such as looking into a large aquarium while walking past it. I am back to normal a couple of days later. Perhaps the association makes me more aware of the problem, as a perceptual feedback reinforcement.

kevinw729
Level 15
In the 1960-70 - the American Airforce and NASA would not allow their test subjects that had just flow their simulators to drive their car from the base for at least an hour after usage (sim-cool-down) due to a number of recorded road traffic incidents that followed direct usage. Seem that the technology at the time (other model board and early CGi) placed too much "processing" pressure on the human brain that conflicted with the same spacial awareness needed to pilot a vehicle in the real world. Oh for some research of the current VR applications!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Kirito
Level 2
if the rifts gets upgraded over and over, the nausea will vanish over time

blazespinnaker
Level 2
"kevinw729" wrote:
In the 1960-70 - the American Airforce and NASA would not allow their test subjects that had just flow their simulators to drive their car from the base for at least an hour after usage (sim-cool-down) due to a number of recorded road traffic incidents that followed direct usage. Seem that the technology at the time (other model board and early CGi) placed too much "processing" pressure on the human brain that conflicted with the same spacial awareness needed to pilot a vehicle in the real world. Oh for some research of the current VR applications!

Yeah, I won't get on my motorbike just after using the rift, that's for sure. And I don't even get sim sickness. In a lot of ways it reminds me of how I feel after just coming off a sailboat where the ground feels all wobbly.

Man, the consumer rift is going to come with a loooooong list of does and don'ts. That could be a problem.

blazespinnaker
Level 2
"Kirito" wrote:
if the rifts gets upgraded over and over, the nausea will vanish over time

Maybe. There are certain things the rift can't manage, like the confusion with the inner ear.