cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to buy a new computer?

Sdempsey
Honored Guest
Hey guys, I need to know if I need to buy a new computer. Currently I have a ASUS gaming Laptop.
Here are the specs

Intel Core i7 4710HQ CPU @ 2.50Ghz
GTX 970M
16GB RAM
Windows 10 64bit

Fairly top of the line for a laptop, but i'm worried that because it's a laptop... I will have issues.

Thoughts?
8 REPLIES 8

2oonLink
Explorer
Same exact specs, MSI gs70, averages 50fps on ultra settings with newer titles, wouldn't suspect many issues with the oculus rift. I think when they say not much support for laptops they mean with like- normal laptops i guess? Because these specs are better than most of my mates desktops who plan on buying a rift too.

pvanvu
Honored Guest
No , they have said that already , they wont or can't support for the Laptop , even 980M be ause of their architecture . But there was a laptop out there supported external Gtx980 desktop version , the card was plugged right behind the laptop with external cooling system .

Sdempsey
Honored Guest
Hey. Can you provide a lintk where they said they cannot support a laptop? I'm not able to find it. I would think when the posted the recommended specs they would have said that they don't support laptops.

gutang
Protege
https://support.oculus.com/hc/en-us/articles/201835987-Oculus-Rift-Development-Kit-2-FAQ

https://support.oculus.com/hc/en-us/articles/201955653-Minimum-requirements-for-the-Oculus-Rift-Deve...

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/powering-the-rift/

There are the minimum requirements for the DK2. Notice that it says the requirements are a 'desktop' pc with 'dedicated' video card.

It doesn't ever explicitly say that laptops are not supported (which is silly I think that it still doesnt after so many of these issues and has resulted in a lot of people wasting money), but it can be inferred from those stated requirements that laptops or M model video cards are not supported...

Also any basic search will reveal the problems people have been encountering with laptops (as well as the countless replies from the moderator that 'laptops are not supported) so aside from your own due diligence or lack thereof and the risk your willing to take in trying a laptop that's about it...

kojack
MVP
MVP
"2oonLink" wrote:
Same exact specs, MSI gs70, averages 50fps on ultra settings with newer titles, wouldn't suspect many issues with the oculus rift. I think when they say not much support for laptops they mean with like- normal laptops i guess? Because these specs are better than most of my mates desktops who plan on buying a rift too.

970m is less than half the performance of a desktop 970.

Average 50fps is way below spec. For CV1 you need a minimum of 90fps at 2160x1200 (actually could be up to maybe 3240x1800 due to distortion correction).
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

2oonLink
Explorer
Yeah but doesn't it depend on the games you play? My sh***ty macbook air ran the oculus dk1 at smooth VERY smooth fps on tf2, and other demos, i'm 99% sure that it would be a dumb move to cripple the rift on laptops altogether when it could still run the majority of games.

Salbrox
Explorer
I don't think they will be supporting m series laptop GPU's. I think that is why they are releasing full-fat GeForce GPU's for laptops.

RapierRaptor
Honored Guest
If you had an external graphics card, then you may be able to overcome the laptop issue depending on whether or not they code in some kind of hardware lock. I've read a couple of threads with people claiming to have the rift running on the Alienware 17 with the Graphics amplifier, which is essentially an external gtx970 or 980. Unfortunately the 980m architecture will not be supported so your out of luck there. The rift may be usable but nauseating, unless they lock you out with some kind of hardware scan. I'm sure some one will hack around that if they do, but is it worth it?