cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you leave it plugged in or disconnect when not using?

MrRocko1
Honored Guest
I was told by a friend it needs to stay plugged in at all times even when not using? 
5 REPLIES 5

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Once your PC is fully powered off you can unplug the headset if you want to.  You just need to remember to plug it in again before your startup your PC again.  If you just want to make sure that the headset is completely powered off you probably just need to unplug its USB plug.  

I have mine plugged into a powered USB hub that powers down when I shutdown my PC so I just leave it plugged in.  I did not do this with my older Rift cv1 and it always stayed in standby mode (orange light) but this did not really seem to do it any harm.  

One thing I would worry about plugging/un-plugging it all the time is that you may end up damaging your DisplayPort plug/socket.  DP and hdmi connectors don't like a lot of plugging in/out cycles imho.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

uKER
Adventurer
Why in hell would you want to disconnect it?
Do you unplug your monitor, mouse and keyboard from your PC at night?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Leave it plugged in, won't do any harm at all and it's designed to be plugged in at all times. It will generate a tiny bit of heat by design so that your lenses won't fog up in cold temperatures.

TomCgcmfc said:

One thing I would worry about plugging/un-plugging it all the time is that you may end up damaging your DisplayPort plug/socket.  DP and hdmi connectors don't like a lot of plugging in/out cycles imho.

This for sure.

I think this kind of device relies on a very good connection and repeatedly unplugging and plugging over time is definitely going to risk that. Having occasional disconnect problems with a USB drive for example is inconvenient but with the Rift it's a cause for RMA!

excalibur2019
Honored Guest
leave it plugged in as when you power down your pc it will auto shut off the rift s