cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you regret buying an Oculus VR headset?

AllUpInYoFace
Honored Guest
I don't personally (Go & Quest), but I know lots of people who tried VR and couldn't get comfortable, so quickly stopped using their headsets. 
I guess fewer people around here are going to regret the purchase for that reason (!), but perhaps some wish you'd chosen an alternative headset?

I don't love that Facebook owns it/it's so locked down. 
31 REPLIES 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
I bought the Rift CV1 in Jan 2017.
I bought the Rift S in May 2019.
I bought a Quest a 2-3 months later, and added the Oculus Link cable when it was available.

I have zero - and I mean zero - regrets on any of the above purchases. In fact I have been so thrilled with Oculus and their system, I stuck with them when many of my flight sim comrades were going Reverb and Index, or Pimax.

Rift CV1 is officially retired and back in it's original box for nostalgia purposes.
Rift S is being used daily with my flight sims and other Oculus games. No telling how many hours I have in on that Rift S now (I am retired). The dang thing just works, and no muss or no fuss, every time.
Quest is being used on occasion, both as stand alone in another room and also as a PC-VR device connected to my PC with Oculus Link. Just depends on the mood I am in and how dark the game is. ( dark looks better to me in Quest display).

kojack
MVP
MVP
DK1, DK2, CV1, Go, Rift-S, Quest. All cool. I'm disappointed in the Rift-S (mainly sound and the controllers), but I don't regret it.
Gear VR for Note 7 - now that's a regret. I only got to use it a couple of times then the Note 7 got recalled due to being a potential bomb. No later Note phones fit it, so it sits here unusable. It also just felt cheap, no match for a Go.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
I have no regrets going from the DK2 to the CV1, and i even have a Go.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I own:
  • Rift CV1
  • GO
  • Quest
Zero regrets. They all have a purpose. In fact, I'll be traveling soon and look forward to having my GO on the plane.

DK2, CV1, S and Quest. No regrets at all and every headset I buy gets used more than the last.

Wasn’t sure how much use I'd get out of the Quest but turns out quite a lot. Am away from home more than I’d planned to be.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
You do not regret buying an Oculus hmd, but you should regret not buying one. Sadly not everyone understands the latter 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

AllUpInYoFace
Honored Guest
Interesting! 

Also second the comment about regret buying a Gear VR headset in the past - should have saved more at the time and gone for something better/more 'real'. Definitely Quest gets the most use for me. 

TUBSKEY
Honored Guest
At this point I regret it

Setup.exe just crashes cant even install software. Nothing has worked for me. Biggest waste of money. 

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Owned DK2 and CV1.
My only regret is not going in on the KSer for DK1.

I dont have any interest in "upgrading" to a RiftS or getting a quest however..... but I have high hopes for a quest version 2 hopefully next year
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂