cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doom Eternal VR: For Reals

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
According to a leak, this could be a thing. And considering that I've been addicted to this game since release... I'd be one happy camper reliving it entirely in VR.

Doom Eternal VR game seems likely as new Bethesda title gets leaked

The hell-razing FPS game Doom Eternal could be getting a VR port this year, after an online listing on an Australian government website appeared to leak the news.

Australia's media classification board has confirmed the existence of a VR game coming from Bethesda, developed by the team at id Software. The working title is currently just "Project 2021A", suggesting the game is set to release this year – but there are plenty of reasons to assume that the game could be Doom Eternal.

https://www.techradar.com/news/doom-eternal-could-be-getting-a-vr-port-after-listing-leaks-new-2021-...

Doom Eternal

Keeping my fingers crossed!
22 REPLIES 22

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Did see that news, yeah let's hope it's Doom Eternal. My pancake GTX 1080 performance using Ultra settings (everything maxed out) is so great that porting that game to VR might not be that difficult. And I'm not sure I can see any difference using medium or ultra settings in that game, lol. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Cool DOOM is pretty cool in VR and makes sense another title gets the same treatment.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Yeah, plus I still am not too big a fan of "hacked ports." They can be fun (e.g. GTA 5), but the VR experience is so much more sophisticated when the port is done proper.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Doom Eternal would be the only game I can think of that could be just remotely close to Alyx in quality and popularity. Then again, chances of seeing any game better than Alyx on the VR throne for many years to come may be slim - it'll be like going to battle against some ... Chronos Cyclops, lol: 

According to Metacritic, Alyx is the 20th best game ever made by humans  B)

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/pc/filtered?sort=desc&view=detailed

- and the best VR game by far.

And that's exactly why Bethesda needs to bring Doom Eternal to VR - it's the best bet they have for making a great-selling VR game. Everything else will just pale compared to Queen Alyx 😉 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I'll be interested to see what ID's new VR project is, although I don't expect that it will be direct port of Doom Eternal--the gameplay may be too frantic to translate well to VR. I think we'll more likely see something akin to Doom VFR, using assets and environments from Eternal, but with modified mechanics and a different story than the full Doom Eternal campaign.

That said, I'd be up for the challenge if they decided to to a full-blown Doom Eternal VR conversion. I've played a lot of fast-paced Doom 1 and 2 on my Quest, I'm now playing through Doom3Quest. It would be great to follow it up with one of the modern Doom games, and I believe I've got the VR legs to handle the mobility of a game like Eternal. (Now that I think about Doom VFR, I recall that I bought it on sale a few months ago, and I should really get around to playing it.)

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

I was hoping now that Microsoft own Bethesda and id, there might be a slight increase in the chances of VR titles coming out. Maybe clutching at straws but I think MS seem to understand the roll of VR in the future of gaming as much as anyone.

I won't mention my favourite Bethesda franchise and what I'm hoping for!!! but I'll take Doom Eternal for sure, would probably have to play this in short bursts though 'cos I'm a bit soft.

Howie_Doodat
Rising Star

I was hoping now that Microsoft own Bethesda and id, there might be a slight increase in the chances of VR titles coming out. Maybe clutching at straws but I think MS seem to understand the roll of VR in the future of gaming as much as anyone.

I won't mention my favourite Bethesda franchise and what I'm hoping for!!! but I'll take Doom Eternal for sure, would probably have to play this in short bursts though 'cos I'm a bit soft.

I’ll mention my dream of Fallout New Vegas VR with the increased mechanics of Fallout 4, including weapon/armor mods, settlement building, and all the fixens ?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

Doom Eternal would be the only game I can think of that could be just remotely close to Alyx in quality and popularity.

Beat Saber is still the Number 1 VR game, and it has so many clones across other platforms like Mobile Apps and Roblox. It's also cross-genre, as both a game and a fitness app. People not only have fun playing it, they get healthy doing it! Both for physical fitness and boosting one's immune system.

On top of that, Beat Saber is mutliplayer (Alyx is not).

I know some folks like to dismiss Beat Saber as a comparison since it's not the same type of game. Enter a Candy Crush analogy here. But that's just semantics.

Beat Saber is still the Number 1 ranking VR game. Alyx is a strong Number 2.  😉

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

This duo will definitely have a strong impact on the future of VR gaming. Unfortunately, though, we will likely have to wait 3 years minimum to see the first products released.