cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doom Eternal VR: For Reals

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
According to a leak, this could be a thing. And considering that I've been addicted to this game since release... I'd be one happy camper reliving it entirely in VR.

Doom Eternal VR game seems likely as new Bethesda title gets leaked

The hell-razing FPS game Doom Eternal could be getting a VR port this year, after an online listing on an Australian government website appeared to leak the news.

Australia's media classification board has confirmed the existence of a VR game coming from Bethesda, developed by the team at id Software. The working title is currently just "Project 2021A", suggesting the game is set to release this year – but there are plenty of reasons to assume that the game could be Doom Eternal.

https://www.techradar.com/news/doom-eternal-could-be-getting-a-vr-port-after-listing-leaks-new-2021-...

Doom Eternal

Keeping my fingers crossed!
22 REPLIES 22

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I spent a bit of time with Doom VFR tonight... really nice looking game, but I sure hope they put more effort into control scheme options for the next title.

After some messing around with config files and SteamVR input mapping, I’ve got smooth turning and swapped sticks (my preferred lefty setup) working, but unfortunately there’s nothing I can do about shooting wrong-handed. I thought I was doing pretty well until I got to the first gore nest; when things got frantic, I kept accidentally triggering the weapon wheel and getting myself stuck in corners. Time to go back and try some other input options.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

saami81
Rising Star
I hope that it is Doom Eternal and i also hope that there is an option for extra fast gameplay to us veterans who can take it. I can rocket jump my way in Quake VR and now all "fast-paced" VR games seems very slow.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I'm one of those that starts to puke with smooth turning. I need my snap turning luvin!

inovator2
Expert Protege
That would be awesome. We need many more triple a ports that I'm personally starving for. I'm currently playing playstation vr port exclusive  hitman 1 2 and 3. And it is amazing even with the  dual shock controller and the one camera. If most games were ported I probably would forget to eat and sleep and I would be found with rigor mortis setting in.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

inovator2 said:

inovator2? What happened to inovator1?

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Zenbane said:

I'm one of those that starts to puke with smooth turning. I need my snap turning luvin!

I used to prefer snap turning, but lately I've gotten used to smooth turning. It doesn't bother me at all as long as it's very fast--slow smooth turning can still make me feel a bit queezy in some games. Anyway, the best thing they can do is provide multiple options. There is no "one size fits all" solution for VR input controls and locomotion.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

nalex66 said:

Zenbane said:

I used to prefer snap turning, but lately I've gotten used to smooth turning. It doesn't bother me at all as long as it's very fast--slow smooth turning can still make me feel a bit queezy in some games. Anyway, the best thing they can do is provide multiple options. There is no "one size fits all" solution for VR input controls and locomotion.

Agreed. It's definitely a bad idea to cater to only 1 or 2 preferences. Everyone should be able to VR in the way that feels the sexiest. 
 ❤️ 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
i will add that I also enjoy it when a dev studio builds a piece of software from the ground-up, with specific intent, towards a specific feature implementation. As long as it makes sense and enhances the experience by giving the specific feature limitation true meaning.

A great example is, Wilson's Heart. It was Teleport only, but it made perfect sense in the manner in which Teleportation was part of the puzzle/adventure experience. Similar to the original Myst with the default "slide show" camera movement. Wilson's Heart uses Teleportation the way original Myst used slide show movement. It's part of the puzzle solving force; the limited movement becomes a piece of the puzzle itself.

So the player asks questions like,
"Why am I limited to viewing only this section? What am I missing? And what other sections will the camera expose if I make the right choice?"

inovator2
Expert Protege

Zenbane said:

inovator2 said:

It's hard to explain but when I got my quest 2 I accidentally hit new user and no matter what I did it wouldn't allow me to go back so oculus suggested I continue as a new user. What a pain that was.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

inovator2 said:

Zenbane said:

inovator2 said:

It's hard to explain but when I got my quest 2 I accidentally hit new user and no matter what I did it wouldn't allow me to go back so oculus suggested I continue as a new user. What a pain that was.

You could have just performed a Factory Reset. That's what I did on my Quest 2 in order to switch out which accounts I was linking it to.
https://support.oculus.com/298586437740040/