cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Boot Win10 with Win7 for multiple sdk use

McFaulTech
Explorer
Currently I am running a dual boot with two iterations of the same Windows 7 ultimate, in order to play the new and old demos. I am wondering if anyone has tried doing the same but then updating one of the installations to Win10? Will the updating of the one installation of win7 cause the other to no longer be valid? In other words, will the windows 7 serial then only be usable with windows 10 once the key has been updated to win10?
Gigabyte Z97-i5 4670, 8gb 1600mhz G.Skill, crossfired 7970 3gb, EVGA g2 1300 PSU WHERE IS THE VR BASS FISHING???
6 REPLIES 6

LordJuanlo
Protege
You won't get a Windows 10 serial. If I'm not mistaken, after upgrading from Windows 7/8, it reads some data from your computer (bios, etc) and authorizes it on Microsoft servers. You can still use your old number to reinstall Windows 7, and if you ever have to reinstall Windows 10, you don't have to enter a serial number. Just hit "skip" and it will activate automatically without serial number (I did a full format and it worked).
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community

McFaulTech
Explorer
"LordJuanlo" wrote:
You won't get a Windows 10 serial. If I'm not mistaken, after upgrading from Windows 7/8, it reads some data from your computer (bios, etc) and authorizes it on Microsoft servers. You can still use your old number to reinstall Windows 7, and if you ever have to reinstall Windows 10, you don't have to enter a serial number. Just hit "skip" and it will activate automatically without serial number (I did a full format and it worked).

okay cool, just wanted to make sure it wasn't like the Vista/win7 upgrade...because I ran a dual boot for that one and one day I came home and booted into Vista and it gave me a message that I was using an illegitimate copy of windows, then locked Vista from being able to boot without first entering a new serial 😕
Gigabyte Z97-i5 4670, 8gb 1600mhz G.Skill, crossfired 7970 3gb, EVGA g2 1300 PSU WHERE IS THE VR BASS FISHING???

MaximusPrimus
Explorer
What I did was uprade Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my SSD, and installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my HDD, with the same serial key. Worked like a charm. no issues. running Win 10 SDK 0.7, and Windows 7 SDK 0.5 strickly for Elite: Dangerous and Alien Isolation.

McFaulTech
Explorer
"MaximusPrimus" wrote:
What I did was uprade Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my SSD, and installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my HDD, with the same serial key. Worked like a charm. no issues. running Win 10 SDK 0.7, and Windows 7 SDK 0.5 strickly for Elite: Dangerous and Alien Isolation.

Good deal, looks like i just clone and update...thanks for the info!

danknugz
Superstar
love this "3 operating systems required" thing
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

McFaulTech
Explorer
"danknugz" wrote:
love this "3 operating systems required" thing

yeah no doubt, check out easyBCD free though. It makes setting up a dual boot with win 7,8,and 10 a walk in the park if you don't want to use linux or bcdedit.