cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Intel Xeon E5645 useable for the Rift?

tobyshead
Level 2
With a GTX 760 GTX 970 4GB and 32GB of RAM, would this set up be usable for the rift? essentially its a mac pro with an upgraded graphics card and windows 10 installed, I know the device wont work while booted into Mac OS but would it work in windows? ive got a usb 3 card installed to.
11 REPLIES 11

TwoHedWlf
Level 11
That's way below the minimum specs.  I think the GTX 760 might not even work at all, not just run slow, I think after that generation some required chipset features were added?

eightbitjuan
Level 4
I doubt it as even the GPU listed is well under spec. Have you ran the compatibility tool yet?
CPU: i7 7700K, GPU: EVGA SC GTX 1070, Mobo: MSI Z270M Mortar, USB: Mobo + Inatec 4 Port Expansion Card, VR: CV1 + Touch + 2 Extra Sensors | Steam Origin Uplay Twitter: eightbitJuan

bobzdar
Level 4
The cpu will work, but I don't know if the vid card has high enough hdmi bandwidth to work.  Now as to how good an experience you can expect even if it works, it won't be very good and might make you sick.  It's just nowhere near enough video card to push the resolution a rift runs at.

With that cpu I'd pair it with a minimum of a 1060GTX.  Even then in cpu limited games you'll have some issues, but most stuff is video card dependent so the slower cpu won't be much of a liability (I'm running an even slower PhenomII x4 955).

tobyshead
Level 2
Apologies noticed my mistype, meant to say GTX 970 4GB edition, wasn't aware the tool exsists, just waiting for windows 10 updates (could be a while) then I will run it and post back the results 

tobyshead
Level 2
So I have run the VR performance test (let me know if this isn't the right one) and a Unigine benchmark on extreme preset. (Screengrab below)

The VR test says it would be compatible but question is what sort of performance would I get out of the machine? Basically would love to get into VR, but I don't want to buy a new machine, so hopefully this system would work, otherwise down the route of PS VR unfortunately.

yl68r2zllgpn.pngxqya2191moao.png

eightbitjuan
Level 4
I was referring to the Oculus one: https://ocul.us/compat-tool 
This tool will also let you know if you have supported USB 3.0 ports, which are a bigger deal than you might think.
CPU: i7 7700K, GPU: EVGA SC GTX 1070, Mobo: MSI Z270M Mortar, USB: Mobo + Inatec 4 Port Expansion Card, VR: CV1 + Touch + 2 Extra Sensors | Steam Origin Uplay Twitter: eightbitJuan

benplace
Level 8
Do you have a GTX 760 or 970?  The screen shot shows a 970.

tobyshead
Level 2

benplace said:

Do you have a GTX 760 or 970?  The screen shot shows a 970.

I've got a 970, Miss type on my first post

tobyshead
Level 2

I was referring to the Oculus one: https://ocul.us/compat-tool 
This tool will also let you know if you have supported USB 3.0 ports, which are a bigger deal than you might think.

So I've run the oculus tool and now I've got mixed results. Everything is Rift ready apart from the processor, but its seems like the compatibility tool is only seeing the one of the processors, and the Steam VR tool said this processor would be suitable (But its seeming both for some reason). I don't mind buying a new GPU but new processor unfortunately to costly for the Mac Pro.
x08mkk3jmxyu.png