cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual boot, Win7 and Win10, two installs of Oculus Home, share one library?

bubsnews
Protege
Can Oculus Home share content between two installs over the two OS's?

So, Win7 with Oculus Home on SSD and all my installs on a separate drive.  Installed Win10 on the SSD, dual boot.  Can I share my library if I install Oculus Home on the Win10 installation?  Or, do I need to download all the content again for Win10?

And, just in case, same question for my Steam library.

Thanks all...
6 REPLIES 6

bubsnews
Protege
nobody?  Bueller?

Trytiped
Adventurer
I don't have much experience with using two separate OS' s besides some Linux but here's a link I did read although it may well be outdated. (the consensus was no without some serious work) http://superuser.com/questions/927721/can-multiple-windows-installations-share-applications

bubsnews
Protege
Thanks but I'm not looking to share program installs, content is what I would like to share.

So, two installs of Oculus Home, one under Win 7 and another under Win 10.  But, can these two installs of Oculus Home share the library of games?

Also, I'm looking for the same for my Steam library.

Thanks...

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
It should be no different than if you had 2 seperate physical machines, you just download the software and install it with the same account login profile.

Another option is to setup a share drive on your local network and install stuff there that both machines can use. You still need the same user profile, but then you can have the games in one location instead of two.

Map63Vette
Adventurer
Yeah, there's no problem in two installs sharing the same login to Oculus home, so you'd have access to the same games on either OS, but I think you'd have to install each game individually on each OS still as I believe the programs hook into the registry and whatnot.  I have almost the exact same setup going on now (three hard drives in my case, one with Win 7, one with Win 10, one generic storage).  If you could find a way to install just the registry entries and hooks and whatnot for a game theoretically I would think you could use the same files in the same location between the two installs, but I'm not sure that's an easy task.  Maybe if you installed the games to the same exact location it might work?  So you basically install the same game twice to the exact same location.  Would still take time, but maybe not the space.  No idea if that would actually work in practice though.

weasel47
Heroic Explorer

Yeah, there's no problem in two installs sharing the same login to Oculus home, so you'd have access to the same games on either OS, but I think you'd have to install each game individually on each OS still as I believe the programs hook into the registry and whatnot.  I have almost the exact same setup going on now (three hard drives in my case, one with Win 7, one with Win 10, one generic storage).  If you could find a way to install just the registry entries and hooks and whatnot for a game theoretically I would think you could use the same files in the same location between the two installs, but I'm not sure that's an easy task.  Maybe if you installed the games to the same exact location it might work?  So you basically install the same game twice to the exact same location.  Would still take time, but maybe not the space.  No idea if that would actually work in practice though.

I just gave myself a dual boot Windows 7 / Windows 10 setup.  I tried installing Oculus Home again in the same location from Windows 10.  It deletes everything from the Oculus folder in the process (including all downloaded apps--ouch).  I haven't gone back to see if it still runs properly on Windows 7.  As long as it does, I'll be relatively satisfied.