cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Dangerous BETA now or PreOrder?

twisteklabs
Heroic Explorer
Since I just got my Saitek X52 controller just now, I am wondering if I should pre-order the Elite Dangerous game for $50 or get the Beta access now for $75?

Any help with this decision is much appreciated.
CPU: Intel i5-4690K Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC
10 REPLIES 10

Wilkin
Honored Guest
Rofl@threeeyes! 😄 edit: oops, comment is gone. (?)

Seriously, he has a point - do not ask strangers on the internet, you are looking only for an excuse to buy it - "but l33t123 said it was good, how can it be that i do not like it?".

You want it. You want it now. Is it worth the extra 25 bucks? Only you know, i paid 60 for the beta and did not regret it a single second. If you are the patient guy and want the most bang out if your buck: preorder.

I switched to a lakon6 a few days ago and when the cockpit changed i went one more time "holy shit".

Like i said, if you can wait, wait and save bucks. But we do kot know if you can, so why ask? 🙂

twisteklabs
Heroic Explorer
How did you get the beta for $60?
CPU: Intel i5-4690K Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
In other news, should I have my dinner now or wait till I'm hungry? please someone in strangerland tell me how to live...

personally for me, I'll wait till the game is finished - I don't agree with the paying for beta stuff sorry - also I'd like my first ED in VR experience to be the whole polished thing (and maybe even on CV1 not DK2), not some buggy effort with limited servers/areas - I can wait and am busying developing anyway!
EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro

plucka99
Honored Guest
+1 on previous poster. I find it a bit rich they charge $25 extra to get the beta, it should be the same price if not cheaper than full release. Also like above poster says first experience will be better with the full game not some buggy beta version. I can't help but think the game will be feeling stale for current beta players by the time release is out.

Wilkin
Honored Guest
At the question how i got it for 60 - it was some preorder bonus for beta, was not in the alpha. Yes, these are strange days when you have to pay extra for early access, project cars, elite, dayZ, and so on. First i was against it, on the other hand noone forces you to buy it in beta - so, only fans have to pay extra. But i so think that this pricing keeps the number of players down and help wity the limited serverspace in the pre-release time.

About feeling stale by the time it comes out - doubt it. 🙂 with every bigger update features are being added, coming up is deep space exploring, reputation system, wear, more modules and many other things. Right now there are 55 systems to see, 30th sept they add 500 systems more. 🙂

I think i got many, many hours of incredible immersion out if it, was worth every cent i had to pay more. I bought quite a few games i came to regret the purchase, elite is not one of them. It made me build my own tactile transducer chair, something i would never believed i would do - but feeling the vibrations of your ship while you are in the rift is something you do not want to miss anymore, once you tried it. 🙂

Long story, in short: no regrets. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Are you maybe talking about pounds or euro?

Anyway, the VR experience is nearly perfect in ED. Theres really no reason to wait if it gets better... it will probably, but only minor things and its probably not very soon.

Wilkin
Honored Guest
"Phil2003" wrote:
Are you maybe talking about pounds or euro?

Hm, good point, had to look at my mails...it was 60 euro and "Grand Total to be Charged £50.00" was on the receipt. So I paid 20 euros extra for beta.

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
For me it's not even so much about the money, I'm just not that desperate to see it that soon that it may risk spoiling ED for me. I want the game finished, I want to play it possibly on CV1 not DK2 also, so I will probably wait to buy it then.

I've waited 20 years for proper VR and a great game like ED imo deserves a proper polished 'blows me away' in a consumer HMD event to really have the experience stick in my mind. I'm sure it's still very cool in DK2 and in beta but I'm a patient sort who can only see positives in waiting for the polished, total experience.
EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro

twisteklabs
Heroic Explorer
Thank you for the enlightening posts.
Based on the responses, I have decided to wait for the official release of Elite Dangerous rather than jump on the beta and pay more for a sub-par experience compared to the official release.
I can utilize this extra time in development of my own demo. Thanks for helping me make the right choice for me.