cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Dangerous - Runtime 1.0

Anonymous
Not applicable
So does anyone know if ED will be functional in oculus runtime 1.0?

I heard that a work around was in place to get ed working post sdk .8 Simply by creating a custom resolution.

Anyone care to input more into it?

Am I going to have dump ED and go for A future Star Citizen to get my space sim fix??
139 REPLIES 139

bigmike20vt
Visionary
currently ED does not officially support the rift beyond SDK 0.6, and by most accounts 0.5 runs better.

unofficially, 0.7, 0.8 & 1.0 all work right now by using steamVR.... however it is apparently very inefficient and not as good as running on the directly supported SDK.

FD have been less than enthusiastic about the rift of late. Their official line is they are in constant communication working with oculus and have been since 0.7 came out, but they never mention the rift when talking about VR, the oculus logo is now gone from their game (it used to be there).

I am curious as to how much they are working with oculus to be honest. IF I do not hear more and soon, I may have to cancel my pre-order as ED for me is the biggest game for VR.

part of me wonders if I would not have been better off getting a may pre-order rather than march / april. That being said, I am not paying over $1000 for VIVE either, so in truth, I will probably bitch and moan if ED is not properly supported but still stick with it.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer
"bigmike20vt" wrote:
currently ED does not officially support the rift beyond SDK 0.6, and by most accounts 0.5 runs better.

unofficially, 0.7, 0.8 & 1.0 all work right now by using steamVR.... however it is apparently very inefficient and not as good as running on the directly supported SDK.

FD have been less than enthusiastic about the rift of late. Their official line is they are in constant communication working with oculus and have been since 0.7 came out, but they never mention the rift when talking about VR, the oculus logo is now gone from their game (it used to be there).

I am curious as to how much they are working with oculus to be honest. IF I do not hear more and soon, I may have to cancel my pre-order as ED for me is the biggest game for VR.

part of me wonders if I would not have been better off getting a may pre-order rather than march / april. That being said, I am not paying over $1000 for VIVE either, so in truth, I will probably bitch and moan if ED is not properly supported but still stick with it.

Are you saying you are spending 599+taxation to play vr with only one game?
Wow, thats devotion o_o

Anonymous
Not applicable
"bigmike20vt" wrote:

I wouldn't cancel because of that.... I love ED too but think FD are a bunch of money orientated control freaks.

If they do not support The Rift they will loose not Oculus... As Star Citizen looks to be even better and people such as myself will jump ship... I didn't buy Horizons and won't buy anything FD until they do the right thing.

NickytheHutt
Expert Protege
Oculus 1.0 SDK is released to developers whose games will be in the Oculus store in December, they'll release it to others by end March.

Side-note, ED: Horizons has recommended VR specs GTX 980 among other things. Which exceeds the maximum requirement for games in the Oculus Store. Not gonna say it's linked.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"NickytheHutt" wrote:
Oculus 1.0 SDK is released to developers whose games will be in the Oculus store in December, they'll release it to others by end March.

Side-note, ED: Horizons has recommended VR specs GTX 980 among other things. Which exceeds the maximum requirement for games in the Oculus Store. Not gonna say it's linked.

Well having played ED in VR, no way to go back to playing it on a monitor.... either they support the rift or they don't... if they don't then I won't play ED.

Stupid move by FD if you ask me.

NickytheHutt
Expert Protege
"Tim74UK" wrote:
"NickytheHutt" wrote:

Well having played ED in VR, no way to go back to playing it on a monitor.... either they support the rift or they don't... if they don't then I won't play ED.

"Stupid"? How would you make that move where you officially support the Oculus Rift at launch when Oculus doesn't release the SDK to you until March?

No one will say anything official, but there's a thread where the CV1 was used with Elite Dangerous using 0.8 SDK, here's the post link: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... ost3389910

Anonymous
Not applicable
"NickytheHutt" wrote:
"Tim74UK" wrote:
"NickytheHutt" wrote:

"Stupid"? How would you make that move where you officially support the Oculus Rift at launch when Oculus doesn't release the SDK to you until March?

No one will say anything official, but there's a thread where the CV1 was used with Elite Dangerous using 0.8 SDK, here's the post link: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... ost3389910

Oh come now... surely you are not saying that lack of Rift support is the fault of Oculus??

ED has not been officially supported since sdk 0.7.

No the lack of Rift support is by choice... Either FD are holding out in an attempt to gain some favour or other and become an exclusive.... Sounds like the kind of thing FD would do....

Or

FD are a bunch of incompitent developers that can't fix the performance requirement issues.... unlikely as ED is an amazibg feat of coding in itself, and performace issues in vr represent a small issue in comparison....

No FD clearly does not want to support the Rift at this time.... Which is a stupid move....

grodenglaive
Honored Guest
No one knows for sure yet (or they aren't talking) - FD says they are still working on it.
For the workaround, Elite is actually hooking to the the SteamVR runtime (if you have steamvr beta installed). I love the irony.
It does work, but performance is not as good (at least for some users) - especially on the planets. instructions

I've returned to using the runtime switcher and oculus 0.5 as it runs better and allows the use of sweetfx for improved visuals.

I think it will be a long wait for StarCitizen, actually I have no expectations it will ever run in VR.
GA-Z97X-gaming gt; i5-4670k; Nvidia780Ti; 16GB PC3-17066; win7-64 bit; DK2

grodenglaive
Honored Guest
"Tim74UK" wrote:

FD are a bunch of incompitent developers that can't fix the performance requirement issues.... unlikely as ED is an amazibg feat of coding in itself, and performace issues in vr represent a small issue in comparison....

No FD clearly does not want to support the Rift at this time.... Which is a stupid move....

I can't see they would purposely shut out [what will likely become] a very large customer base. I expect the problem is that they have discovered it will take a significant rebuild from the ground up to get VR to work natively in direct mode. They will have to do it eventually though (even for VIVE).
GA-Z97X-gaming gt; i5-4670k; Nvidia780Ti; 16GB PC3-17066; win7-64 bit; DK2