cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Dangerous, problems during gameplay

Tjames66
Explorer
Just started getting into Elite, and noticed I have been kicked out during gameplay and the HMD goes black, on screen is still good and allows me to save and exit, just a game stopper to be into elite and that's it game over, until I restart.  anyone else dealing with the same thing ?
13 REPLIES 13

Traprock
Expert Protege
Have not had this happen?  Does it happen in other apps?  What hardware?

Ebonyknight
Expert Protege
I've had that happen and it seems to happen when the extension cable is too long and heats up.  Are you using an extender or only the original short length cable?

I found that if I play in a hot/warm room, that tends to happen.  Probably due to the increased resistance in the extension cable.  During the warm months, I kept an extra cable in the refer and swapped them out when that happened. 

Tjames66
Explorer
I do actually use an cable extension mainly due to the Hdmi plug issue people were having (from plugging and unplugging) I have been using it with the extension since I got it 6 months ago.  I guess it would be worth a try disconnecting it if the problem continues.  Thanks for the post.

Ebonyknight
Expert Protege
Yeah, if the cable is too long for the conditions (from my experience, room temp) that happens.  I bought an extender similar to this..

https://www.amazon.com/COWEEN-Repeater-Extender-Splitter-Amplifier/dp/B01GHL72XS/ref=sr_1_23?s=elect...

and was able to add an additional extender cable.   So I now have a six foot extension plugged into my computer, the HDMI extender/amp, then another six foot extension and then my HMD cable.  Quite a long run.

JeffNik
MVP
MVP
I had exactly the same issue a few days ago - HMD goes black, but game, video on monitor and audio continued normally. I had no problems with other RIFT games. I did a total reset of my Win10 installation and re-installed Oculus Home and ED... no problems since. For me, it seemed to be software related.

kojack
MVP
MVP
I had problems like this in Elite until I fixed the windows power profile settings (disabled usb selective suspend).
(Might have had it in other things too, but I play Elite longer so was more likely to notice it)
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Tjames66
Explorer
I just did a new install of windows 10 2 weeks ago, so I want to try and avoid that again.  I disabled usb selective suspend for now. and might try the hdmi repeater. Won't get a chance to play this evening, will have to try it tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback.

Tjames66
Explorer
Finally was able to play a little last evening, 10 minutes in got a blank HMD screen, closed game on monitor and restarted.  2 minutes later Blank screen again.  I opened up task manager and notice Steam was running the Bootstrap thing twice, closed that out and restarted.  This seemed to work since I was able to play for 20 minutes or so until Elite lost connection (which seems to happen from time to time).  Silly question is the Guardian update an automatic install ?  I have the horizons version of Elite.  I did order the HDMI repeater to hook in line for my HMD.

Ebonyknight
Expert Protege
Did you remove the extension cable, just to test the basic equipment is working correctly?