cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Strap breaking?

rbhamilton
Explorer
Hey people.  I ordered my Elite Strap and it's due to arrive in a couple days.  But I have seen now 26 documented posts with photos of the plastic breaking - all in about the same spot.  Is the strap OK?  It's expensive enough that it should be really decent.  Is this a widespread manufacturing defect?  A bad batch?  Some kind of user abuse?  
96 REPLIES 96

NoobieWanKenoob
Honored Guest
Mine just snapped on the left side. I submitted a trouble ticket hoping it will be replaced but I have my doubts. has anyone had difficulty getting theirs replaced after breaking after the 30 day return period?

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
npc service awaits your ticket:

https://youtu.be/gtnehMIdLMM

rtathegawd84
Protege

Mine just snapped on the left side. I submitted a trouble ticket hoping it will be replaced but I have my doubts. has anyone had difficulty getting theirs replaced after breaking after the 30 day return period?

It comes with a 12 month warranty.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

kevinw729 said:

So what does everyone think about this issue now then a few weeks later? I saw lots of people just claiming it's user error for a while. then the whole trust me I know it's just a bad batch. Now it's fully confimed to have been removed from sale and all pre-orders cancelled..so is that not proof enough it has design flaws? Surely a few "bad batches" would be swept under the rug and quickly replaced no?. I own one and while it hasn't broken yet with the paper thin sides I don't expect it to last long term.. all these theories yet most people don't mention it's just not well made with cheap construction and paper thin side struts. In my opinion it is what it is People love to come up with these theroies but don't mention the most obvious causes most of the time.

Yes, it has been difficult for the early commenters on the forums. All companies experience this kind of thing during launches, and to try and dismiss this, when in reality its just one of those things was not bright. But I think we have been given a interesting glimpse into the process of QC at Octulus post the last big issue with the cable problem. The situation was addressed, and sales suspended in a much shorter time. I still wonder if it was a plastic [material] issue, rather than bad design - but we should see the replacement design soon and that will be enlightening. 

Thankfully once again the consumer being vocal has helped to highlight a issue that needed fixed, and yes i feel for those who were the first to come here with the broken strap issue only to be blamed for the straps breaking, over the actual fact we know now that the straps indeed were not fit for purpose..........and twice now consumers being vocal have forced improvment of the FB Vr ecosystem, once with these straps and once when they fought against the CV1 being locked to the Cv1 store......so the consumer should be thanked for making things better for all.......so thank you all vocal comsumers out there for your good work, and keep on being vocal. 😉
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

OmegaM4N said:

kevinw729 said:

So what does everyone think about this issue now then a few weeks later? I saw lots of people just claiming it's user error for a while. then the whole trust me I know it's just a bad batch. Now it's fully confimed to have been removed from sale and all pre-orders cancelled..so is that not proof enough it has design flaws? Surely a few "bad batches" would be swept under the rug and quickly replaced no?. I own one and while it hasn't broken yet with the paper thin sides I don't expect it to last long term.. all these theories yet most people don't mention it's just not well made with cheap construction and paper thin side struts. In my opinion it is what it is People love to come up with these theroies but don't mention the most obvious causes most of the time.

Yes, it has been difficult for the early commenters on the forums. All companies experience this kind of thing during launches, and to try and dismiss this, when in reality its just one of those things was not bright. But I think we have been given a interesting glimpse into the process of QC at Octulus post the last big issue with the cable problem. The situation was addressed, and sales suspended in a much shorter time. I still wonder if it was a plastic [material] issue, rather than bad design - but we should see the replacement design soon and that will be enlightening. 

Thankfully once again the consumer being vocal has helped to highlight a issue that needed fixed, and yes i feel for those who were the first to come here with the broken strap issue only to be blamed for the straps breaking, over the actual fact we know now that the straps indeed were not fit for purpose..........and twice now consumers being vocal have forced improvment of the FB Vr ecosystem, once with these straps and once when they fought against the CV1 being locked to the Cv1 store......so the consumer should be thanked for making things better for all.......so thank you all vocal comsumers out there for your good work, and keep on being vocal. 😉

Yes, the vocal consumers, even having to accept being blamed and attacked for raising the situation have done the community a great service, and illustrated the power of the customers voice. Sadly there seems to have been attempts at deflection of the situation at first. I am concerned that it was felt that FB needed defending when they have a very powerful and invested operation and do not need that kind of support. Anyway, glad to see this situation being addressed, and now we await the news of the new rules on operations.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

rtathegawd84
Protege

kevinw729 said:
Yes, the vocal consumers, even having to accept being blamed and attacked for raising the situation have done the community a great service, and illustrated the power of the customers voice. Sadly there seems to have been attempts at deflection of the situation at first. I am concerned that it was felt that FB needed defending when they have a very powerful and invested operation and do not need that kind of support. Anyway, glad to see this situation being addressed, and now we await the news of the new rules on operations.

We all know there's a few silly people out there that that don't look after things but it was quite plain to see by the
sheer numbers it wasn't just an isolated case of stupidity. I just hope people aren't as quick to judge next time and
remember this incident in the future going forward.

Still no official announcement on this after the "we're looking into it". It has been more than a month plus now since strapgate began. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Been really careful with the elite strap due to what you are seeing online. Cracks are now appearing on my strap. 100% bad design, not user error!!

marmosetg
Honored Guest
Mine just broke tonight. Looks like they are all failing in exactly the same place. I submitted a support ticket so hopefully, they will replace the strap, otherwise, this looks like a slam dunk class-action lawsuit. ks7tgzh49mx9.jpg

texasgreentea
Honored Guest
Mine failed tonight too, same spot. I was super gentle with it. I saw all the pictures online and I really need my headset for work, so I was extra cautious. Many people speculated online that users are tightening it too tight to cause the break, but the tightening gear on mine failed a few weeks ago. The teeth on the gear have worn away so they longer catch. I can't tighten it anymore, and the plastic strap broke anyway. I believe the torque from the weight of the battery pack is what caused it. When you take the headset off, lift it level on both sides with both hands until it's off your head. If the strap doesn't twist at all, perhaps it'll last longer.

coffeeguy66
Honored Guest
Mine finally gave up the ghost and cracked on one side and then completely broke in half. Had it 3 months with careful use. Purchased from John Lewis in the UK for £119. Contacted John Lewis and full refund given. I've actually gone back to the stock strap and it's fine. I don't think I'll be changing the strap. bgveyl8gq3wz.jpg