cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Strap breaking?

rbhamilton
Level 3
Hey people.  I ordered my Elite Strap and it's due to arrive in a couple days.  But I have seen now 26 documented posts with photos of the plastic breaking - all in about the same spot.  Is the strap OK?  It's expensive enough that it should be really decent.  Is this a widespread manufacturing defect?  A bad batch?  Some kind of user abuse?  
92 REPLIES 92

snowdog
Level 15
Probably a bad batch with a manufacturing defect I would have thought, otherwise we'd be seeing A LOT more cases being reported.

They must have sold an absolute shitload of these things by now.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

TomCgcmfc
Level 15
Mines just fine and for plastic, it seems pretty sturdy.  I suspect that most complaints on Reddit are from kiddies who have been tossing them around or knocking their little heads on walls, lol!  You are really best to avoid believing a lot of Reddit tossers imho.

Of course if you get yours and you do not like it you can always just return it for a refund.
9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Q2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro

gdc27
Level 4
No issues with mine so far. I make sure i release the ratchet to its maximum before taking the Q2 on or off.

synchromesh62
Level 9

TomCgcmfc said:

I suspect that most complaints on Reddit are from kiddies who have been tossing them around or knocking their little heads on walls, lol!  


No here are a couple pics of these, Looks like a material issue.
Enough to make me think the headset could go that way if its the same plastic ?  

bwx6xdxr7oun.png
5hf6lzjbzmf2.png

TomCgcmfc
Level 15
Ya, could be a defect or it could have been dropped on a hard floor.  In any case I'm sure if the person sends pics to where they bought it from they should get a replacement.  Like the OP says, it's a good idea to loosen the headband before putting it on/off to help avoid over-stressing it.
9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Q2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro

kevinw729
Level 15
Will be interesting to see if this is : 

- Bad batch from a manufacturer
or
- Bad design (Design Flaw)

Due to the current conditions, the normal amount of time that would have gone into QA has been halved so we can not rule out a design flaw.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RuneSR2
Level 15

kevinw729 said:

Will be interesting to see if this is : 

- Bad batch from a manufacturer
or
- Bad design (Design Flaw)

Due to the current conditions, the normal amount of time that would have gone into QA has been halved so we can not rule out a design flaw.


All straps are now unavailable:

https://www.oculus.com/quest-2/accessories/

Maybe sold out or temporarily removed... 

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

JohnnyDioxin
Level 11
I'm wondering if a lot of this damage is caused by people being a little too careless when removing (twisting) and refitting the straps.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

RuneSR2
Level 15

RuneSR2 said:


kevinw729 said:

Will be interesting to see if this is : 

- Bad batch from a manufacturer
or
- Bad design (Design Flaw)

Due to the current conditions, the normal amount of time that would have gone into QA has been halved so we can not rule out a design flaw.


All straps are now unavailable:

https://www.oculus.com/quest-2/accessories/

Maybe sold out or temporarily removed... 


Seems I'm not alone thinking Straps have been removed:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/jgl9c5/so_both_straps_stopped_being_sold_on_oculuscom_in/

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"