cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everytime I setup Oculus - "Restart Computer"

elation
Explorer

Everytime I install Oculus and run the set up, after it installs, it goes to this screen saying..

"Restart Computer

Sorry, we encountered an error during installation. Please restart your computer and try running Oculus Setup again. If you still experience issues, contact Oculus Support"

Has anyone else got this and what was your solution. It installs in C drive..

28 REPLIES 28

VrSponge
Expert Protege

) Run regedit.exe

2) In the left tree view, right-click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, select "Permissions..."

3) If a dialog comes up stating that the permissions are incorrectly ordered, click "Reorder"

4) Click "OK" in the permissions dialog to close it

5) Repeat step 2-4 on any of the following tree nodes that exist:

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/Oculus VR, LLC

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/Oculus VR, LLC/Oculus

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/Oculus VR, LLC/Oculus/Config

elation
Explorer
Yeah I've tried that but the "reorder" window does not pop up.

elation
Explorer
bump

VrSponge
Expert Protege
When you open regedit are you right clicking and running as administrator?

I don't now what else to do, I hope somebody figures it out for you.

elation
Explorer
I do it through Windows Key + R -> regedit.exe

Kayos
Protege
Saw this on Reddit, worth a try:

Another fix. I figured I'll post it here since this is the top comment.

I had my Windows firewall disabled. Oculus home software tries adding a firewall rule but can't if it's disabled so the install fails. I re-enabled the firewall, installed, then you can disable it again. Oculus should be checking for firewalls on startup and see if they're enabled, not trying to add rules to firewalls that don't exist and erroring out!

Ricktor_Black
Adventurer

elation said:

Hmmm... that means a lot of us are having this. I don't feel safe going into the computer code and editing it though, I feel like it might throw something else off. Does everyone have to do this?

You should be careful what you do in the Registry, but as long as you do exactly as the steps say to do you should be fine.  The Windows Registry is basically the hidden database of all the settings in the background of Windows laid out in a non-consumer-focused way, but it's all setup hierarchically so the changes you make are under the Oculus branch so they should only effect Oculus things.

elation
Explorer
I found out how to fix it:

1 - Update graphics stuff and drivers
2 - Restart computer
3 - Run Oculus compatibility tool
4 - Uninstall McAfee
5 - Restart

Viswar
Explorer
I had this issue as well, I just had to disable McAfee during installation. I also needed to disable it when installing apps in the store.

nemean320
Honored Guest
here's what solved it for me after doing all of the above which didn't work
 https://forums.oculus.com/vip/discussion/34364/another-sorry-we-encountered-an-error-during-installation