cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending the ovr sdk XML content

Cgpnz
Level 2
I have chosen a route to produce content via the XML format that is used in the Tuscany Demo.
This is rather than choosing one of the engines and the common object import format.
The XML content is very rudimentary. It could be expanded to include animation, sound queues,
Etc.

Has anyone similar ideas?
3 REPLIES 3

cybereality
Level 16
Honestly, I would not base a game around the Oculus World Tuscany demo. It's fine as a simple example, but you are going to spend a lot of time fixing it up to make a full game. Just use something that is already fully featured like Unity or Unreal.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Cgpnz
Level 2
I was kinda hoping someone here would see the opportunity in using the xml format as a
platform for parametric world creation. Yes of course the engines with their complex
editors and gui environments offer immediate productivity. But I want to go beyond the fbx
formatted object placement and proprietory lock-in that occurs when you put objects in and
manipulate them in these engines. I see a great duplication of gui data context hassle and
editing environment maintenance that is probably 90 per cent of the effort behind these engines.

I'm looking to put animation in the xml format using the POV scene format (nodes etc) offered by the ImagTech
boys (mobile graphics). I did a perl port of their format a few years back.

jherico
Level 5
"Cgpnz" wrote:
I was kinda hoping someone here would see the opportunity in using the xml format as a
platform for parametric world creation.

There are already plenty of open source XML 3D file formats:

Brad Davis - Developer for High Fidelity Co-author of Oculus Rift in Action