cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eyecups (should) have ridges.

jwilkins
Level 2
I'd like to suggest that the eyecups be given some kind of grip so they are easier to turn and give better feedback for when they are properly inserted (your hands will slip on the ridges when the cup stops moving).

(I would also love to know if Oculus has experimented with translucent eyecups to help eliminate the feeling that you are looking through binoculars)
(╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻
14 REPLIES 14

NegativeCamber
Level 2
"jwilkins" wrote:


(I would also love to know if Oculus has experimented with translucent eyecups to help eliminate the feeling that you are looking through binoculars)


Sounds like you need to move the lenses closer to your face.

jwilkins
Level 2
"NegativeCamber" wrote:
Sounds like you need to move the lenses closer to your face.


My eyelashes touch the lense, so probably not 🙂
(╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻

geekmaster
Level 4
Just to help clear up any confusion here: As can be seen from other related posts, the suggestion for translucent eyecups is to extend the FoV a little beyond the eyecup edges, giving a somewhat ambilight effect, especially when rotating your eyes to look into the peripheral areas of the FoV.

blackplastick
Level 4
I wonder if it would be possible to have contacts made that achieve the same effect as the lenses?

Talk about hardcore 😄

Frito
Level 3
"jwilkins" wrote:
"NegativeCamber" wrote:
Sounds like you need to move the lenses closer to your face.


My eyelashes touch the lense, so probably not 🙂


Ive trimmed my eyelashes. works. true story bro.
Backer "Have faith." -Palmer Luckey

drash
Level 7
Agreed on the eyecups needing some kind of a grip!
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

jwilkins
Level 2
Good news is that I've found a 3D printer and can pursue my project of making translucent eye cups. I just need to figure out the best way to model and slice them now 🙂

Since personally I cannot tell the difference between the A and B cups, I can take my B cups apart for an extended period of testing if I need to.

I'll probably model a grip into the new cups, but from what I've seen, any 3D printed object will probably have a naturally grippy and rough surface unless I do the acetone vapor bath thing.
(╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻

geekmaster
Level 4
"jwilkins" wrote:
Good news is that I've found a 3D printer and can pursue my project of making translucent eye cups. I just need to figure out the best way to model and slice them now 🙂

Perhaps 3D printing an opaque inner layer then coating that with a translucent or transparent layer (printed, dipped, or just melted and drizzled on)? You need the light-guide outer coating to extend inside the eyecup mounting holes, to gather some light. Just alternatives to try, for comparison purposes...

Depending on your rush, and how sturdy your object (no delicate parts) a blowtorch or heat gun (carefully applied) can smooth surfaces too. That is a common method for smoothing acrylics and plexiglass rough sawn edges (but solvent vapor can work well for them too).

jwilkins
Level 2
"geekmaster" wrote:

Perhaps 3D printing an opaque inner layer then coating that with a translucent or transparent layer (printed, dipped, or just melted and drizzled on)? You need the light-guide outer coating to extend inside the eyecup mounting holes, to gather some light. Just alternatives to try, for comparison purposes...


Hopefully I'll pick up on 3D printing quickly so I'll be able to iterate ideas quickly (or fail quickly so I can give up quickly, lol).
(╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻