cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook Begins Testing of Oculus VR Advertising

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

kevinw729_0-1623873364342.png

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/16/facebook-to-begin-testing-ads-inside-oculus-virtual-reality-headsets...

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
194 REPLIES 194

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Let's try to keep the discussion friendly, everyone! You're welcome to agree or disagree with decisions and opinions, but this board needs to remain a welcoming space.

There's a really interesting discussion to be had here about monetization of gaming and even pros and cons of ads in various spaces. I'd love to hear all about what you think good or bad uses of ads might look like and your thoughts on the topic.

But don't forget that ultimately we each use VR differently, and your expectations can be different but just as valid as someone else's. Let's give everyone the respect we'd like to get.

Help others find great discussions and answers by adding kudos and marking solutions to your questions.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Thank you @Ryanality - appreciate getting this back on the rails.

And to your point:

- "Discussion to be had here about monetization of gaming and even pros and cons of ads in various spaces.."

I think its best we keep to VR and in particular consumer VR in general, I will not bore you with the way we are doing promotion and sponsorship in the commercial entertainment scene. 

So the options on the table for consumer VR:

- Advertising that is system based, loading up and selected with the firmware of the headset
- Advertising that is application based, loading with the game as flash screens
- Advertising this is incorporated into the game, the use of billboards, or designated advertising areas

Its also important to consider the advertising we are talking about "having to be" targeted, as so not to be so jarring to have a car promotion when the player does not even own a driving license. This is usually the reason why targeted advertising is a "opt in" approach than just forced on the user. 

Have I missed any?

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star

i think eye tracking will really help focus in on the right ads to give the user. as well as brain interfaces so what interests the users mind is also targeted by ads.

also if there is a groin sensor we could see what tickles your fancy and target that too with ads. probably the tongue mimics the sex organ stimulation which is able to be sensed by throat tensing to find what the tongue gets erected then the sex organ probably is too. so tracking throat tensing is good for targeting ads especially at guys. since women normally dont get erect.

a little skin pad sensor like a bandaid right around the sides of the male adams apple would do.

if you wear it you get special privileges' and more cool stuff to compensate you. and prettier ads.

inovator
Consultant

Facebook give me 200 ° fov at a cheap price and I'll except any ad.

High FOV at a time when GPUs are completely out of reach for most people and will be for another year may not be a great move, adverts or no adverts.

As to targeted ads that Kevin mentioned. I've always found them more intrusive than non targeted. They bring with them the feeling that you're being followed, your viewing history tapped into... well in other words, you're being targeted.

Google is the worse for this, right after buying something, which I'm able to do without having been advertised at, I'll start getting adverts for the very thing I've just bought. Adverts that aren't targeted are much less annoying and I'm probably more receptive to them.

On a slightly related subject, Ronaldo removing Coke bottles from the Euros press conference was interesting.

It got pretty much global praise, but I was wondering how much of his salary is attributed to the sponsorship from the firms that are allied to these competitions. Can competitions like that, that he enjoys taking part in,  even take place without them.

Deciding whether adverts are good is easy, everyone has a view, becomes less easy when all things are considered. Developers choosing whether or not to monetise a game so they can make it free won't be the end of the world, I suspect it won't be detrimental to the VR community either.

It may result in more content, which people who don't want advertising can ignore, like Ronaldo with his Coke.

edit: come on England, sorry if you're Scottish, hope it's a good game.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star

i hope they use as much ads as they can. go hog wild. im old i dont care. hahahaha

Just think, FB now have a device that cannot circumvent adverts, so no ad blockers, no script blockers, no white list, the games themselves become the maleware, just pure open season for advert inside and outside your HMD, and all under FB control, so what could possibly go wrong. lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Advertising is malware?

I'm genuinely interested in hearing from Oculus users (as I was trying to say previously), who think it's a bad thing. Open up the debate beyond the regular protagonists. Otherwise it just seems to be an extension of whether people are against Facebook or not which we kind of already know.

Forum newcomers... what are your thoughts???