cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook Connect 2021 (October 28)

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

This year's Facebook Connect will be virtual. It looks like we'll be able to register for attendance; details to come.

Facebook released news on this today. So now would be a fun time to start making some predictions!

Here is what I am expecting:

• Oculus Quest Pro news
  • VR Metaverse info
  • New Oculus VR Software projects

Above all, I am hoping that we once again have Carmack go unscripted. 😁

104 REPLIES 104

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I am still quite blown away by the fact that the very Quest 2 controllers I have had this entire time... can now suddenly be used in new ways. The flipping around to use it as a pen/marker sounds like a cute caveat at first, but just the fact that we can use the Touch controller in reverse as a Marker is remarkable (pun intended.).

That aside, we seem to have hit a major breakthrough with the Touch Controllers ability to function as an asset scanner.

I  mean, wow... we can scan a physical keyboard in order to track it as a fully functional virtual keyboard in VR.

And all of this WITHOUT the need for additional hardware. This takes me back to when HTC first helped achieve asset tracking with their Track Pads. Where you bought a physical tracker and physically attached it to another real world object (e.g. Sword, Shield). But that not only required additional hardware components, it also was limited in physical tracking (not behavioral).

Whereas Oculus Touch is being used to scan an object in order to track it both physically and behaviorally.

The possibilities seem endless from here 💙

Wonder how long before we get pressure sensitive stylus nibs on the end of our Touches. Or a tracked stylus would be nice. I'm thinking varying thickness of lines for the artistic among us.

@DaftnDirect wrote:

Or a tracked stylus would be nice.

Just not the Logitech one, that thing costs €900. For a pen. €900!!!! Plus you still need a Lighthouse setup for it.

https://www.logitech.com/en-roeu/promo/vr-ink.html

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

kojack
MVP
MVP

Add IR tracking lights to a wireless Wacom tablet. The tablet can tell pen position and angle, so it could basically do extremely precise tracking relative to the tablet surface. With the tablet tracked, it could be used in vr as a drawing surface.

The easiest way to add the tracking would be Antilatency (they've added tracking cameras to tablet computers, so a Wacom shoul;d work too), but the cost is way outside of the consumer market.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

I reckon Oculus could do a stylus that doesn't need a tablet for less than $100, just a small Touch with the analogue trigger on the end in the form of the pressure ‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌tip, come on Oculus 🙂

Cool! I agree this Workspaces and Mesh integration in a Metaverse could be a great start of Metaverse and team work!

Just imaging connecting together in a work session/meeting all sitting behind theirs work desks. (or you could connect to 2-3 meeting at the same time and fast-switch/fade 😉 to keep track of all of them as a team leader)

Even more, you could keep you work file at you desk and throw a copy of it with a hand to other people 😄

(or just hand it over)

Great idea! Tons of possibilities!

Do not forget we could use second Touch as to select options and change first Touch/marker/scanner behoove same time!  So we could do undo/redo, change color, etc...

Or you could use both Touch flipped for some geometry drawing. Like setting a point and "draw" a circle around it. Or "draw" straight lines though 2 points.

You have infinite paper in VR so you could draw big pictures to make precise lines.

Object scanning is great! I think fist object to scan would be a cup of coffee! 🙂

Hmmm.. could you scan a cat that way? 😄

I think that is not a way to go.

The whole thing in using Touch as a pen is not to buy anything in addition. That will give a feature to a lot more people for work and education then using additional hardware!

Anyway we could have some "drawing API" to get input from other devices. It could even be Android app you could run on your phone or tablet with a stylus.

But it is a limitation.

Buy asking for a stylus you are trying to save you "stylus/real pen" skills in drawing and gestures you are trained to do.

Instead of trying to learn a new way of "drawing on infinite paper". This way you drawing and gestures need not be small and precise. You could zoom in image and draw big lines with long gestures with Touch. No need for stylus precision and small "drawing tablet".

And you could use any surface for drawing! Your desk, your wall, or your floor! Even window (and draw what you see behind it! 🙂 )

For option change you could use second Touch. "Pressure" is also an option. Same as "speed" or "angle". And that could be not only button press or joystick move but also whole hand move (up/down/right/left/back/forward to change 3 option same time).

Even more, you could rotate your drawing Touch to change drawing style instead of registering "pressure"! (rotate around it's handle)

Nekto2
Superstar

> Here is what I am expecting...

Would be great to see new solutions for remote work and education!

> Above all, I am hoping that we once again have Carmack go unscripted. 

+100 !!! 🙂

@kojack 

I think we need not so precise tracking in VR. We have as much drawing surface as we need in VR, so we could use big lines and zoomed in images. Like drawing wall-sized paintings.

I think the whole reason about "precise" movement/tracing is a price of big sized paper/tablet.